A populations numbers game: After the flood

by PSacramento 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

This isn't really about the noah story, it's about how feesible it is that the current human population we have now could have come from a small group pf people

Almost. A small group of (genetically) different people perhaps.

If you blindly apply arithmetics, yes a progression (or compound interest) can quickly add up to huge numbers.

But if you take genetics into account, the whole story becomes so overleveraged that is not even funny.

There is a reason why incest does not produce offspring and if it does it is severely compromized on many levels, as well as often unable to reproduce.

If I recall correctly, the absolute genetic bottleneck is 50 couples completely unrelated to each other in order to have any chance of survival.

If we are to accept genetics as they are (and benefit from the results of their research), let's not be intelectually dishonest and ignorant when it comes to the application of the same principals to our ancestors.

• RandomNoise
    RandomNoise

950 year life span?!

if you believe that shame on you!

4500 years since a world wide flood?!

shame on you.

why do people waste there precious (real) life span with the crap creationists say.

THEY PUT US LIVING WITH DINOSAURS!! geeze. wake up and smell the bullshit!

RandomNoise

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Maybe you should let actual statisticians/geneticists/scientist do the work. And it has been done before. If you put the flood at 4000 BC, you would have to get off the Ark with 7,000,000 people in order to get to the population density we have now. The last time our species had a bottleneck, the estimate is that there were between 1000 and 10,000 breeding couples. Any lower and we would've simply gone extinct.

• jam
    jam

The great Pyramids 2400-3200 BC

The flood-------------2500-4000 BC

Who built the Pyramids???

• FaceTheFacts
    FaceTheFacts

I don't think the statistical rationale of the article should be ignored due to contravening negative evidence. It is...after all, just a theory and was simply arguing against many fundamental anti-Deluvian arguments (i.e. that there was not enough time for population growth). Whether or not the Flood can be substantiated notwithstanding the archaeological and biological evidences against it is an altogether different argument.

The only major discrepancy I see thus far in the article is that it doesn't acknowledge/include reasonable variants...like others have mentioned.

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Whether or not the Flood can be substantiated notwithstanding the archaeological and biological evidences against it is an altogether different argument.

So, do you think there is evidence for the flood? By flood, allow me to be specific as in the Global Flood as described in the Bible that most fundamentalists, Jehovah's Witnesses included, accept as literal, factual history.

I know your busy with reviewing Gentile Times, but I think proving/disproving the veracity of the Biblical accounts or at least the perceptions held of them seem rather an important issue, don't you? The Gentile Times is mainly a JW topic, whereas divine authorship of the Bible permeates to the other branches of Christianity, and ultimately saves us a lot of time on our quest for truth.

• Searril
    Searril

The flood of Noah's day was not a global event and the bible does not claim it was.

• Searril
    Searril

PS To be clear, there is a difference between what the bible says and what translation bias says.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Searii, as most know here, I do NOT believe that Genesis referres to a single GLOBAL flood the covered ALL the plaent Earth.

I was just curious as to how valid this "population argument" is.

• Searril
    Searril

Searii, as most know here, I do NOT believe that Genesis referres to a single GLOBAL flood the covered ALL the plaent Earth.

I was just curious as to how valid this "population argument" is.

Gotcha. I won't comment on that as I have no idea what is considered "normal" population growth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit