How Would You Answer

by turtleturtle 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• turtleturtle
    turtleturtle

A brother once explained away 1975 by saying "Jehovah changed his mind about the Ninevites, didn't he? Did that mean he was a false prophet? No."

How would you answer that?

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

I would said: I don't think Jehovah was involved in 1975 issue.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

So did mankind repent en masse and turn to God before 1975? That's why God spared the Ninevites. If so, why are JWs still out knocking on doors?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• AGuest
    AGuest

Ummmm... what was supposed to happen (and to whom) in 1975, dear skeet (peace to you!)? My understanding is that the WTBTS' position is that they never said anything was going to happen... to anyone... in 1975. So what ever was this "brother" referring to?

BTW, if you talk to him, again, you might point out to him that if anyone was to be considered a false prophet, it would have had to have been Jonah, not JAH (JAH is not prophet, true, false, or otherwise). You can even go further and tell him that the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies, changing His mind about bringing calamity against Nineveh wasn't false prophecy - it was mercy. Which he would know if actually bothered to read the account, versus relying on the WTBTS' interpretation of it.

Of course, the WTBTS knows nothing of mercy. For it's own, let alone anyone else. Their hopes for and proclamations of "Armageddon", etc., fly in the face of mercy. So, no wonder this "brother" wouldn't know of it (mercy)... or how and why JAH extended it to Nineveh (they repented). Ah, well...

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• sir82
    sir82

In what Watchtower is it written that "Jehovah changed his mind"? You're not running ahead of the organization, are you, brother?

So if he changed his mind, does that mean Armageddon will never come? Or is he going to change his mind again? Sounds pretty wishy-washy to me.

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    A brother once explained away 1975 by saying "Jehovah changed his mind about the Ninevites, didn't he? Did that mean he was a false prophet? No."

When did Jehovah become a prophet?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

"Well, Jehovah is pretty stupid then. Or maybe he is just bloodthirsty. If he had ended it in 1975, he would have only had to kill off about 4 billion people. If he does it now, he is going to have to kill of 7 billion. Every day he delays Armageddon, he has to kill another 150,000 babies."

• Ding
    Ding

I would say, "It's pretty clear that the Bible doesn't record Jonah's entire message, because the Ninevites understood that they might be spared if they repented in time. Jonah understood that too, given that he expected Jehovah to spare them if they repented and he preferred to see them destroyed (Jonah 4:2)."

So what's the explanation for nothing coming of 1975?

Mass repentance worldwide, or Fred Franz not knowing what he was talking about?

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I'd recommend reading Festinger's "When Prophecy Fails"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit