The Algorithmic Origins of Life (Davies, Walker)

by breakfast of champions 19 Replies latest social current

• breakfast of champions
  • fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

thank you

• frankiespeakin
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

It is all information so I'm thinking about a quantum computer that can extraplate dna to a full grown person and computers to correct dna for a more functional persons with greater utility.

I see computers taking over dna mutation processes and there will be some pretty fancy mathematics. The new and improved Übermensch

Vhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Cbermensch

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

BOC,

By the way I keep this web page open and rereading it.

I'm thinking Programing right information into future computers, reading information from past geological samples super computing it we will have a better picture of past developements and be able to tweak and develope causitive effects and those entirely change our species, and others as well. Genetic engineering will need some super mathimatics but I think it is comming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_information_theory

C&P

Although it has been notoriously di?cult to pin down precisely what it is that makes life so distinctive

and remarkable, there is general agreement that its informational aspect is one key property, perhaps the

key property. The unique informational narrative of living systems suggests that life may be characterized

by context-dependent causal in?uences, and in particular, that top-down (or downward) causation –

where higher-levels in?uence and constrain the dynamics of lower-levels in organizational hierarchies –

may be a major contributor to the hierarchal structure of living systems [7, 8, 58]. Here we propose that

the origin of life may correspond to a physical transition associated with a shift in causal structure, where

information gains direct, and context-dependent causal e?cacy over the matter it is instantiated in. Such

a transition may be akin to more traditional physical transitions (e.g. thermodynamic phase transitions),

with the crucial distinction that determining which phase (non-life or life) a given system is in requires

dynamical information and therefore can only be inferred by identifying causal architecture. We discuss

some potential novel research directions based on this hypothesis, including potential measures of such a

transition that may be amenable to laboratory study, and how the proposed mechanism corresponds to

the onset of the unique mode of (algorithmic) information processing characteristic of living systems.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

FRANKIESPEAKIN - I knew you'd like this article! I only got to skim over it myself. . . Had finals this week. Will re-read and deeply process later.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I'm getting a better idea of the problem Steven Hawkins was faced with in his theory of information lost at the event horizon of a black hole. This was disputed and won out. Now his theory has no information loss just tranference to another universe out of ours at the event horizon of a black hole.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Deep? Maybe I'm missing something, but, it seems that it's dumbing down the definition of life, or its importance at least.

• frankiespeakin
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Manuel Delanda, "Deleuze and the Use of the Genetic Algorithm in Architecture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50-d_J0hKz0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit