Study the Bible with JW - Any advice?

by FingersCrossed 60 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "Going for a word by word Bible reading/study with a JW, no literature involved and maybe using more than one versions. ..."OP

Sounds interesting - keep us posted on the results, will you? Thanks!!

And be sure to ask questions EVERY time you don't agree with what they say - and don't move on until they ANSWER your question[s].

• FingersCrossed
    FingersCrossed

What's your goal?

This is an inactive JW who is still finding out if the WTS is the only true organization. My goal is to let him see what the Bible really says, and not what the WTS says. I have never been a JW and what I know about their beliefs and doctrine and their ways of interpreting and study of the Bible is almost none. So advice, tips and guide are very much appreciated.

Thanks for all ya support :))

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Terry:

The Watchtower religion went to the trouble to translate their own bible to PROP UP false teaching by changing the wording of texts.

If you actually compare the NWT with the KJV, it becomes evident that the NWT is little more than a 'search and replace' of archaic words with newer ones and single verbs with compound verbs. Then follow up with some proof-reading and voila, a new translation. They've only really put it in any real effort for the verses that require doctrinal bias.

• FingersCrossed
    FingersCrossed

I cannot reveal so much here (the person maybe lurking here too) but please know that it is something really personal that I have to do it and what we both agreed to do as well. I will try my best to help him figure out..

• Pterist
    Pterist

Take a quick 101 personal study in hermeneutics, with emphasis on EXEGESIS VS. EISEGESIS

You can do that on line, here is a link ...

http://theresurgence.com/2011/12/13/a-quick-and-easy-lesson-in-hermeneutics

Shalom

• trillaz
    trillaz

When I think of search and replace, I think of The Living Bible. The NWT is certainly more. For example, the KJV says in Acts 8:37

And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Seems like a benign enough passage. How does the NWT translate that same passage?

"-"

The closest exegetical study of the NWT would be made with the KIT, no? Because no one is certain of what they used for the old Purple version and 1985 versions, correct?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

If you don't believe that the Noachian flood can be taken literally, ask about how the millions of species alive today could have fit in a wooden box just 4000 years ago.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

trillaz:

Seems like a benign enough passage. How does the NWT translate that same passage?

You think there's no doctrinal bias there? That a person can be baptised if they simply believe Jesus is the son of God?? And nothing else is required?? I don't think so.

• trillaz
    trillaz

Witnesses believe that Jesus is the Son of God so there is no problem there.

On the 2nd part, that just believing is enough.. It does present a problem, but the Org is cunning enough.

When they baptize they can't get around knowledge of Matt 28:19

Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit,

since it is a fundamental scripture used, yet they still inject the two baptismal questions.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Witnesses believe that Jesus is the Son of God so there is no problem there.

I think you've missed the point. The verse suggests that it was enough for the eunuch to believe Jesus is the son of God without needing to know a bunch of other stuff. In JW literature, they claim the eunuch (who they say wasn't really a 'eunuch') already knew the 'other stuff' he had to know to be baptised.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit