If you don't respect the integrity of WORDS your thoughts are crap

by Terry 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

There once was a world--a long time ago when there was no printing press, no computers or newspapers or technology for instant communications.

Something extraordinary might happen a few miles away and nobody would find out about it for weeks!

And the details? Could you trust the details? After all, some schmuck who is barely articulate and poorly educated is simply blurting out his own impressions!

What a world of crap that would be!

So much of what we rely on as history and knowledge of the past may be little more than what's left of a truly pathetic world of inarticulate blatherings tossed from

numbskull to numbskull and finally written down!

How can we trust it?

We depend mostly on the fruits of Paleontology, archeology and science for our CONFIDENT assurances about the dim past.

Words, you see, have not only precise meanings.....they have weight and color and tone and texture and ......well.....painterly, elemental gravitas when carefully chosen.

There are subjects on JW-net that require a very precise and clear use of words, terms and defintions.

Unless you give YOUR definition the very first time you employ that term......you risk losing your audience or debating over nothing for pages and pages simply

because you failed to CLEARLY SAY what you meant when you said it.

Without precisely understanding how these words can be used... a world of communication problems await the use of them by people at odds.

Our thoughts are only as effective as the words we use to express them!

Think of a crime victim sitting in a police station with a sketch artist trying to articulate the appearance of a perpetrator.

A verbal language is being translated into a visual representation of an actually existing person.

In the same way that the sketch only represents the criminal to the extent it LOOKS LIKE him---so too, the words we use when we think, speak or write..... are sketches of our thoughts more or less accurate or inaccurate....depending on......our choice and the listener's understanding.

If you have a sparse vocabulary your expression will be sparse and your sketches will be black and white.

If you have a bounteous abundance of word choice from which to choose you will have a full color portrait to offer to the world when you speak.

Is this post ever going to end, you ask?

Yes.

One final thought.

If you read great books by great authors you are exposed to the style of word play and thought-painting which is facile, potent and exhilarating to read.

If you read flabby word piffle in magazines farted out by doltish hacks your sense of wonder will be deflated to a flat emptiness of grunts and gestures.

Your choice, really.

Your taste in matters literary reflect the magnitude of your intellectual reach. Stretch and it grows. And grows. And grows.

Challenge yourself.

Youtube is a great source of examples for debate and skilled wordplay by fine exemplars of perspicacity and wit.

I love to watch Christopher Hitchens whittle his opponents into splinters with his trenchant skewerings.

Spend a half hour with the debates in British Parliament and you'll toss rotten vegetables at our own politicians. Oh the grandeur and the stylish pluck!

If you don't respect the integrity of words your thoughts are crap and your time is wasted reasoning with and debating others.

That's the full tide on this one.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Agree with you Terry, but do you have to be so long winded

• Terry
    Terry

If you are narcissistic you want to go on and on and on and on and....whew! huff puff...and on and on and on......

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I see integrity in your words Terry, a lot

I wonder how many others grasp at what your getting at though ?

• zeb
    zeb

"A gentleman should be able to spell most well, for if he can not spell most well then is not sure what he thinketh, and a gentleman should always know what he is thinking." quoted by TE lawrence

• jgnat
    jgnat

Try to write a computer instructions without being utterly, completely lucid.

• Terry
    Terry

"A gentleman should be able to spell most well, for if he can not spell most well then is not sure what he thinketh, and a gentleman should always know what he is thinking." quoted by TE lawrence

From about the age of 15 I was obsessed with T.E.Lawrence. I read Seven Pillars of Wisdom over and over and gleaned over one hundred vocabulary words!

Lawrence had problems with his semi-colons and had to rely on George Bernard Shaw to correct his galleys for punctuation.

I have problems with semi-colons as well; perhaps I should have read Shaw over and over:)

• Terry
    Terry

Try to write a computer instructions without being utterly, completely lucid.

Precisely!

Nothing wrecks a good Topic more quickly than playing fast and loose with the context in which words are employed.

The bible destroys "meaning" for words because you never know how far the damned thing is s-t-r-e-t-c-hing the metaphor or poetry or analogy or...or....

Example: "On the day you eat of it you shall surely die."

How long was that "day"? And exactly how would we (or Adam) know?

What does "die" mean? And exactly how would (Adam) know?

And finally.....Did Adam die on that day? And how do we know?

I remember being taught by JW's that Adam could see animals dying and that would clue him in.

I asked if animals were dying a "spiritual death" or a literal one and was told that was beside the point!

• mindseye
    mindseye

“The fish trap exists because of the fish. Once you've gotten the fish you can forget the trap. The rabbit snare exists because of the rabbit. Once you've gotten the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words exist because of meaning. Once you've gotten the meaning, you can forget the words. Where can I find a man who has forgotten words so I can talk with him?”

— Zhuangzi

• james_woods
    james_woods

I believe that this is called Etymology.

Somewhat of a big word.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit