'Our Friend Sparlock' DVD is about to get the AX

by dropoffyourkeylee 18 Replies latest jw friends

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Letter was read yesterday that the 'Listen, Obey' DVD (featuring Sparlock) will no longer be produced starting in January, 2013 (midwest US). The content will be available only on line at jw.org. Future releases of video or songs in the same series will also be available only online. There will be something released about every month at that source.

This gives them the ability to edit/delete the Sparlock scenes from the online version. How much you want to bet that Sparlock gets the ax?

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

wasn't that the plan all along though? For it to be an online thing and the DVD was released because the new website was too slow in getting launched?

Oz

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

I wonder if some of this is supposed to help curb the illegal copying of the materials. It won't work of course. Technology has surpassed their ability to do this. They could try to enforce some kind of login system like Netflix to view their materials and restrict downloads. However, logins can be shared and rips of their materials will still happen.

i think this is just another example of the wt cutting costs further making us question their financial stability.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Less people will be arsed to watch it...

• cedars
    cedars

I don't think there's anything malevolent about the films being available online, only in the respect that it will be easier to spread them as vehicles for child indoctrination. It's a cost cutting exercise first-and-foremost as with most things the Society does these days. They can achieve the same level of mass indoctrination without the risk of producing tonnes of expensive DVDs (with the risk that not enough people will donate extra for them).

Sparlock is forever immortalized on the DVD, so he can't be axed any more than he has been already via the blue dumpster. I doubt he'll be making a return in any of the forthcoming Caleb sequels anyway.

Cedars

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“It's a cost cutting exercise first-and-foremost…”

BINGO!

Marvin Shilmer

http://marvinshilmer.blogspot.com

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Posting it online only makes it easier to illegally copy it.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Sparlock is already a cult hero (no pun intended).

No way are the disgusting WBT$ putting him in the wheelie bin!!

I know of non JWs that think the sparlock vid is weird and cultish!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

They said previously that future releases in the series would only be made online and that the first DVD in the series was a 'special edition'. Nothing to see here.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They will also be able to delete or edit content when a prediction goes bad or when they decide that the old "a generation" never existed. Embarrassing content can be deleted or edited at will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit