Girl beating cancer thanks to modified and disabled HIV

by EntirelyPossible 27 Replies latest social current

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Had 48 hours or so left when she finally got the therapy. Months later, no sign of cancer and she doesn't have HIV. SCIENCE WINS AGAIN. Not prayer, but science.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2246312/Girl-7-beats-leukaemia-revolutionary-treatment-using-HIV-virus-wire-immune-system.html

Doctors suggested they sign Emily up to a clinical trial that would use a disabled form of HIV to carry cancer-fighting genes into her T-cells (disease fighting cells). The hope was that this would re-programme her immune system to recognise the cancer cells and start killing them.

Several adults had already been enrolled in the study at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and had responded well, but as it was so new the treatment wasn't without risks. But time was running out for Emily, who is also known as Emma.

Mr Whitehead said: 'We were told that we were down to 48 hours of making a decision or she could start having organ failure.'

They comforted themselves with the knowledge that even if the treatment didn't work, it would provide doctors with information that could help them save other sick children.

So on April 17, the then six-year-old became the first child to have the therapy known as CTL019.

'Emily completely responded to her T-cell therapy. We checked her bone marrow for the possibility of disease again at three months and six months out from her treatment, and she still has no disease whatsoever. The cancer-fighting T-cells are still there in her body.'

He added that they need to see the remission go on for a couple of years before they can think about whether she is cured or not.

But, after spending years in treatment, Emily went home in June and now enjoys going to school, playing football and walking her dog Lucy.

• cofty
    cofty

wow.

I'm sure genetics holds the key to effective cures for cancer and other illnesses.

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Really, Cofty? Are you sure the answer isn't more prayer?

• cofty
    cofty

oh yeah I forgot about that ;)

• cedars
    cedars

Wow, fantastic story. I really hope this medicine can be put to use on a wider scale soon.

Cedars

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Fantastic work.

cedars, cancers are all so hugely different, but this may prove a fantastic option for B cell pathology, acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (a child cancer) and other leukaemias.

I do love science so very much. Cell biology is more mechanical and logical than people realise, there are doors, channels, keys and id cards, transport mechanisms etc. its exciting to be living in a time when we know not only how they work but in a time when we can manipulate biology to interact in a way we would like, such as using a virus to deliver a positive alteration to a cell. We have done this for years as a vaccination, thats basically what they did here.

great story x thanks

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I'm sure genetics holds the key to effective cures for cancer and other illnesses.

For sure. After the mapping of the human genome, there are endless possibilites for genetics.

It takes some serious gray matter and inspiration to think of using a diable HIV virus strain to transport cancer fighting cells.

Talk about thinking outside the box.

• cedars
    cedars

PSacramento

Talk about thinking outside the box.

You can say that again. Taking one of the world's greatest killers, and using it to cure another.

Science is wonderful.

Cedars

• NewChapter
    NewChapter
    and other leukaemias

Does that include Chronic Myloid Leukemia?

This is very exciting. I'm so happy for this little girl and her parents. To be so close to losing someone so precious----I get emotional.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am so happy for that little girl, and her medical team who went out on a limb for her.

Here's more food for thought.

http://www.ted.com/talks/mina_bissell_experiments_that_point_to_a_new_understanding_of_cancer.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit