who is your favoured successful APOSTATE?

by prologos 19 Replies latest jw friends

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Don't forget William Tyndale, Peter Waldo, John Wycliffe, etc. So many great ones that stood up to the religious powers that oppress(ed) the people.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Well now I'm ashamed that my answer wasn't the same as Londo's! Nice one!!!

• james_woods
    james_woods
    JAMES WOODS creator of the eternal Wibble!

Thank you, but James Woods is NOT the creator of the Wibble. I and the Wibble Cat (and others) merely maintain the Wibble.

The Wibble was created by the ever-Wibble and long lost N.drew.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

I do not have a favorite as of right now, I have not met any aposta babe yet.

• Pterist
    Pterist

ChristAlone ***** Well now I'm ashamed that my answer wasn't the same as Londo's! Nice one!!!****

same feeling

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think lists such as these are a shame in a way, because we are bound to miss so many worthy names, I agree with all so far mentioned, but one poster on here has had a profound effect upon me because of her selfless sharing of her knowledge, and that is the one and only GREAT LEOLAIA !

She has shown me the way to appreciate ancient texts, and how to complete my education.

You only have to look at posts/threads from 2 or 3 years ago or more to realise how many have been here and moved on, sucessful Apostates all !

From history Galileo was pretty good too, like Keppler, upsetting the Church, right up to the end of his life.

• smmcroberts
    smmcroberts

It would have to be a tie between:

Voltaire, who fearlessly took on the church of his day, exposing them to well thought-out and much-deserved ridicule...

and Robert G. Ingersoll, who carried on the tradition.

Robert G. Ingersoll

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

It's a tie between Leonardo da Vinci and Mark Twain..... I like Mark Twain's definition of faith: “Faith is being convinced that what you don't believe is true.”

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I guess of all the ones named, Mark Twain is my favorite.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I was teenager when a man showed up to a bible study. He asked to come in and sit down, not once did he tell me he was "R", the infamous apostate. It took him two hours to reveal who he really was, I was young and he was dishonest by not telling me the truth of the nature of his visit. He "slippped" when told me he thought "elders deserve a nice salary" which threw my defenses up and "preaching the good news of the Kingdom was not required." I asked him "You are a ex-Jevovah Witness are you not?" He finally told me who he was, I only knew him from my "born again" friends in High School, who would ask me the strangest questions after "R" visted their church.

If this is the same R, you speak so highly, as a teenager I had no respect for him because he lied to me for two hours. Why could he not be honest and tell me who he was? The exterme focus on being paid a salary for his duties of running a church greatly troubled me. You know a different side of this guy, I highly doubt Ray Franz or Sam Dunlap would conceal, omitt or trick two teenagers with a Bible.

The other thing that is still burned into my mind is that, he broke down crying in front of me, my friend weeping and the householder "my father if he see's me walking down the street, run's to the other side to avoid me. He considers me dead, life is very unfair." To a teenager his crying mood and quick anger creeped me out but I felt I could handle myself with my friend with me.

I wonder if I had come across Ray Franz or Ed Dunlap as a zealous young jw, if they could have helped free me earlier. The "money thing" was just about the time Jim and Tammy Baker's were getting exposed by that carnaval guy, R could have focused on "truth" because that scripture "You receive freely, so give freely" kept popping into my head. So I can say for a fact, R was not of any help to me and actually disgusted me, strenghted my resolve to serve the Society for the next few decades, not the desired effect I wish I now had.

Ray Franz and Sam Dunlap are my favorite members, everything I hear and read about them make me want to know them better. Not once in Ray's book is there any emphasis on "pay for service" Bible instruction. Sam Dunlap heading back to Ok, to be gainfully employed at his dear old age, followed the same advice as well "to give free, what you receive free". Begging and asking for money is the biggest way to make a JW turn limp!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit