COs and other org heavies - Interest in secular entertainment?

by A question 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We had one C.O stay with us who loved cartoons, and Tom and Jerry Cartoons the best..... sez a lot really.......

• A question
    A question

BTTT

• aposta-Z
    aposta-Z

I remember most higher ups being hockey fans. Even DOs joking about team rivalery amongst the COs.
    But then here in Québec hockey is the oficial religion.

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

i ha one tell me g stands for garbage and pg stood for pure garbage pg-13 was pure garbage to the `13th power

• brokethechain
    brokethechain

LOL I heard that "pg=pure garbage, pg-13 to the 13th degree" from some oddball brother too.

There were some that really seemed to only be interested in cult-stuff like visiting bethels and going to international conventions.

But most of them seemed to be normal humans with normal interests but probably felt the pressure to keep up the appearance so that they can be "encouraging". I've watched movies with COs, talked about sports, travel, literature. I don't know where they found the time to pursue other interests though...

• TMS
    TMS

Ok. . I will bite. As a young pioneer in the 60's I did share my tastes in music and film with some of the Circuit Overseer couples(Eventually, I learned to keep my tastes in music and film to myself). I loaned the Beatles Revolver album to a C.O's wife. She loved it, but her husband couldn't get past the hair. He was a Nat King Cole fan.

Circuit Overseer Tom Moore asked me to if I had seen any good movies. Since I was a Sidney Poitier fan at the time, I mentioned A Slender Thread, To Sir With Love and In The Heat of the Night. He said it all sounded too West Side Story to him. I don't know what he was looking for, but at least he valued my opinion and was not judgmental.

Circuit Overseer Don Farmer's wife(I forget her first name) found out I was a Beatles fan. She asked if I had seen his rendition of Mary Had A Little Lamb on a national tv program. I told her my wife and I didn't have tv(we were poor pioneers), and that ended the discussion.

In the late 80's, early 90's we had a book study in our home. My wife would put on videos after the study as sort of background music, Paul Simon's Graceland concert in Lagos, Nigeria, Bob Dylan's 30 years with Columbia concert and the Neville Brothers. I'm certain other elders heard about our musical tastes, but none ever confronted us.

tms

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit