COs and other org heavies - Interest in secular entertainment?

by A question 15 Replies latest jw friends

• A question
    A question

In any conversations and dealings you had with organization 'heavies' or their wives, such as COs, DOs, missionaries, and so forth, did they ever have a lot of interest in any kind of secular entertainment (movies, TV shows, fiction books, and so forth)? Or did they always discuss only 'spiritual interests'?

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

I have watched football with a few CO's.

• whathappened
    whathappened

They always seem to be disinterested in secular entertainment, denying knowledge of who even the most popular stars were. I found it fake and pretentious, like they never stopped reading the watchtower long enough to watch tv or movies.

• prologos
    prologos

stood once behind H Knorr sitting at kennedy airport and he was reading his favoured magazine "Time". glad it was not playboy.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    glad it was not playboy.

if it was, you would have been free a lot earlier

• sir82
    sir82

In my experience, most COs and DOs can "turn it on" and "turn it off" ("it" being the appearance of JW-approved over-righteousness) in a flash.

It's "on" full bore when "serving a congregation".

When they are "off" (vacations, Sunday evening or Monday - i.e. their 'weekend', at an informal dinner at someone's house, etc.) they are just as "worldly" as anyone else - discussing football, movies, electronic gadgets, cars, you name it. "Spiritual" topics are the absolute last things even thought of, much less discussed.

Some may call that hypocritical - I'd call it a coping mechanism to handle the extraorinarily unnatural strain of that sort of lifestyle.

• ronwashington
    ronwashington

This is always been an interesting topic because it's amazing how some people who can be so strict in their own lives and from the platform can be hypocritical.

Take football for example. It's been repeatedly 'called out' in the WT magazines. One of the recent publications, the one about the minor prophets I think, mentions it too. Yet, how many brothers do we know that still watch it and go to games because they like it. Yet, those same elders will counsel me for playing violent video games. I guess fake violence is worse than real violence or something.

Here's a good one too since it is entertainment related. We all know that watching an R-rated movie is a one-way ticket home from Bethel. When I was there, NBC aired the movie Saving Private Ryan uncensored. It's a VERY violent movie, as it should be, given the subject matter. The next day, I heard several people at my table, including a Bethel elder and his wife discuss the movie. I really didn't have the balls at the time to tell them what they just did. Again, if I had rented something like Die Hard and that elder found out, I would have been instantly kicked out.

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

we had a CO recently who quoted Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot in a talk, and his wife referenced SNL a couple of times in an answer

Neither of which I was expecting...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

They do not usually own up to it before the congregation. They know that the bro's would take it as an endorsement of the passtime.

In practice they do, of course, some more liberal than others - that is just human nature

• A question
    A question

BTTT. Thanks so far. Specifics (no names needed though) are appreciated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit