When you left the JW's, did you remain a Christian

by kenpodragon 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Xander
    Xander

I wish I could be a pagan or a wiccan.
    It's far more glamourous and interesting than being an atheist.

Ahh, but that is the beauty of paganism. Beliefs are wide open. All you have to believe to be technically 'pagan' is that their is some divinity outside a single all-powerful god.

For me, as I mentioned, I see it everywhere. Every living thing has something of the divine in it, to 'worship' is to live in harmony with the world and work for its betterment.

(In essence, the only REAL difference between secular paganism and atheism is that paganism opens up the possibility of something continuing on after death - even if just the memory of being. Obviously, there are different degrees of paganism and atheism, so there can sometimes be more or fewer differences between people's beliefs)

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • JT
    JT

Nope--

Don't have much desire to be "Hooodwinked and Bamboozled" anymore

James

• JT
    JT

this is kinda cool

• larc
    larc

Xander,

I take some exceptions to your last remarks. You say that every living thing has something of the devine in it. I don't see anything wonderful about bacteria that kill us, viruses, or cancer cells, but hey, that's just me.

You say later on that their are degrees of atheism. I thought that atheism was like pregnancy, either you have it or you don't.

Just some random thoughts for the day - no coherent message here.

• Xander
    Xander

I guess I meant that to mean different philosophies of atheism. Kind of summarized as an optimist-atheist, pessimist-atheist, etc.

I don't see anything wonderful about bacteria that kill us, viruses, or cancer cells, but hey, that's just me.

You're starting from the assumption that 'divine' means wonderful for each person on a case by case basis. Do you think Homo Neanderthalensis thought Homo Sapien was the greatest thing since sliced bread? No - but it worked out in the end, didn't it?

That's all I'm allowing for - that, in the end, there is some purpose to life. That all the diversity and wonder of our world isn't just some pointless random occurance destined to be wiped out before it has a chance to spread and never occur again.

I don't believe there is any all-powerful god controlling things with a grand purpose in mind. I *DO* believe there is some purpose. I think, as we are all alive, the Earth itself (and the universe) is alive and has something in mind for itself. So, kind of supernatural, but no 'demons' or evil spirits or angels.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit