My sister owes me 4000 dollars and wont pay up. Any ideas how I can get it back?

by usualusername 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Several years ago I foolishly loaned a few thousand $ to a friend of a friend without getting anything in writing. He had agreed to pay back in instalments but very soon stopped making payments. It went a few years without him doing anything to pay me back, and I had no legal recourse and no contact details.

I came to a point where I really could use the money. I found his mother's page on Facebook, and left a polite but specific message, which got the wheels moving. I felt a bit petty and underhanded doing that. But I got my money back.

Though this isn't quite the same situation, if all else fails, as a last resort it may be possible to appeal to your sister's sense of pride to shame her into paying you back. This doesn't mean telling as many people as possible, and certainly doesn't condone slander.

Unless you really need the money though, it's probably better to just leave it alone.

• mP
    mP

Ask her to Pray to Jehovah (tm) the bible promises he answers all prayers. After she pays you, ask her to burn $4000 of her own just like Jesus paid Adams debt by not only forging that, but also costing himself the equivalent.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Easy

Shes your sister......and......you"dont need the cash". Problem solved.

Is she in a tough spot or a thief? Either way she needs her sister. Take your sister to court, make threats or cut her off if you think that will help her most. If i was in trouble and needed my family i dont think any of those things would help.

you are obviously a good sister because you lent her the money, if you suspected she may not pay it back, then you knew the risk but still helped her out. If you thought she would pay you back i.e. she didnt have a history of being unreliable and her not paying it back is a shock to you... maybe she is in more trouble now? Maybe she needs more help, if not financial, emotional. These are tough financial times.

Nobody should be a welcome mat obviously, but you can be a good sister without being taken for a ride.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Be nice to her. Start by calling her and reminding her about the money. Tell her you'ld like a payment. Ask her if she can do that, then how much, then when she can do that. Notice, these are one step steps. Tell her you'ld like cash. Ask her if she would bring it or if you should pick it up. When that time comes, follow through. Accept no excuses. Be ready to sit around and wait while she gets it together. If she absolutely does not come up w the payment then, ask when she will. You get the method? Always be nice, but always nail her down to specifics. Then just stay on her - keep phoning. If she blows up, just say, sorry, i'll call you later. The point is to outlast her.

Clear you mind and center, before going in. Focus on your breathing. YOU need to be in control of what is going on in your own mind, first and keep it that way. Step out of fear, if you have that.

Go for it. What have you got to lose that you haven't already?

S

• AGuest
    AGuest
    What have you got to lose that you haven't already?

Perhaps her relationship with her sister, dear Satanus (peace to you!), which the OP doesn't indicate is "shot", yet. I mean, I dunno - some people DO put a monetary value on their relationships ("I would still be on good terms with my brother/sister/son/daughter/mother/father... friend... if it was only about $3,999.99. But this about $4,000! Uh-uh. I mean, I don't need the money... but I need it more than I need [a relationship with] my sister/brother/mother/father/daughter/son... friend").

A simple resolution for future similar situations, dear UUN (again, peace to you!)? Never loan money. Give what you can... if you can. Or else don't. If you receive [all of some of] it back... GREAT. If not, you gave it and so never expected it back to begin with. No loss, either way.

Again, peace to you, both!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• Satanus
    Satanus

Well, we don't know, do we? That's why i put it in a question form.

S

• blondie
    blondie

Lesson learned. I'm glad to hear you don't need the $4,000. You can walk away from this and be sure not to lend money to family or friends unless you can eat the loss. I just give it as a gift, whatever I can afford. I can't afford $4,000 but I could have given $100.

When people ask you for a loan, it usually means a bank or a credit union will not. There is usually a good financial reason for that.

Suze Orman constantly cautions never to co-sign for a relative or a friend, saying the above.

http://www.oprah.com/money/Love-Means-Never-Having-to-Say-Youll-Cosign

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Sometimes things come around with time. I helped my sister out years ago. I was not in a great financial situation and I got into serious trouble with my then-husband for it. But I gave her the money anyway. It wasn't $4,000, but it was probably the equivalent, since I had nothing.

Some 20 years later, I'm in dire straits and I asked my sister for a loan. She immediately offered me $1,000 cash, no strings attached, and she persuaded my dad to also help me. So what goes around comes around. If you really need the money, be honest with her. If you can manage without it, maybe you can take the big picture perspective. Some things are more important than money.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Four thousand dollars may be a big step for her, she also may know that you don't need it right now.

What about a smaller step? Could she pay you back in one, two, or three years in monthy installments? Could that be suggested?

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Q. "How do you get rid of unwanted close family or friends?"

A. Loan them money!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit