Will the year 2034 be the end? Is the WT seeing a glimpse of "NEW LIGHT"?

by suavojr 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• suavojr
    suavojr

Cedar mentioned this on another thread talking about 2014 and the WT. Ray also mentioned how easily it would be for the WT to apply the 1 day for a year rule and make 2034 a special year.

They already have a contingency plan enshrined in their literature that will see them through to 2034.

http://www.quotes-watchtower.co.uk/2034.html

I don't expect 2014 to be a big deal to the majority of Witnesses.

As to 2034, I personally believe the Society will be almost unrecognisable by then.

We all know we are in the age of information and the internet has given people a voice.

My question is:

Does anyone here think the new GB/FDS will make the same mistake? The mistake of talking about a possibility, a proper time for God to act, etc...

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I do remember the WT where they stressed 120 years of preaching on the part of Noah. It sorta came and went without much fanfare.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Personally I don't think they will ever make the mistake of setting a date again. I think they've learned their lesson with that. Franz is dead and he was the link to the early history of JWs. I think with his passing, the date setting ended. Of course JWs have their own ideas and speculations. I've heard discussion of 2014 among individual JWs in the past.

• cedars
    cedars

Just to clarify, I doubt 2034 will be a "special year". I merely draw attention to the talk of "120 years" to illustrate that the Society is adept at using the scriptures to talk itself out of a doctrinal deadend.

At some point in the future the Society will be forced to divorce its theology from 1914, but by then it will be unrecognisable from what it is now.

Cedars

• Pterist
    Pterist

As long as JWs continue to believe that being AWAKE is about dates and chronology, they are ASLEEP to its spiritual intended meaning.

A man is on his way home from work or a journey, if his wife is constantly looking out the window for his arrival, nothing is done. If however, she is busy in her home, she will be ready, regardless of what time her husband returns.

Shalom

• suavojr
    suavojr

Thanks for all your input.

Pterist said:

As long as JWs continue to believe that being AWAKE is about dates and chronology, they are ASLEEP to its spiritual intended meaning.

A man is on his way home from work or a journey, if his wife is constantly looking out the window for his arrival, nothing is done. If however, she is busy in her home, she will be ready, regardless of what time her husband returns.

This reminds me of the ten virgins Jesus spoke about. The parable does not criticise the virgins for sleeping, since both groups do that, but for being unprepared. Clearly saying the end is near, setting dates, pushing for numbers instead of godly devotion and pure love for Jesus and the father does not constitute beign prepared.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I wonder how many JW's there will be by then?

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I wonder how many JW's there will be by then?

Hah! A lot fewer.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

It seems that every elderly witness thinks the end is coming "hopefully" in their lifetime. But the younger witnesses really don't care about the end coming right now. So the WTS will continue to always have ones growing old and then wanting the system to end. I do not feel that the GB will set dates. They have been proven wrong too often.

• irondork
    irondork

Cedars: At some point in the future the Society will be forced to divorce its theology from 1914, but by then it will be unrecognisable from what it is now.

Oh, we'll still recognise them. They'll still be shunning those who abandoned the 1914 theology back in 2012.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit