"There will be earthquakes..." Show this site to JW's and watch their faces

by Terry 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Think About It
    Think About It

Show JW's this JWN site and watch them quake.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The WTS. likes to keep people in a dome of fear and ignorance, this way they can control and manipulate them.

Another part of their positioning stance on demeaning higher education.

Their information controls people, outside information simply doesn't and may actually contravene their selective information.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to most. The only ones who can see it are the ones who want to. That's why trying to fade and take family with you is such a hard task.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Watchtower Corporation/Kingdom/organization have always been calculating experts in exploiting people fears and ignorances.

They still do to this day, for there's a continuing intension to draw attention to their own literature and lure

people to the organization so that they too can be exploited and manipulated to their own discretion as door to door distributors.

• Malsonilla
    Malsonilla

The rule is this: A statement taken out of context is a pretext.

While working with an elder in the door-to-door publication peddling activity, he explained that while there may not be an increase in frequency of earthquakes, the Scripture is actually accurate WHEN we consider how much more devasting todays's earthquakes are since the world is now so densely populated with more buildings and people dwelling stacked ontop of each other, side by side. The result is an all-time high record number of fatalities and injury per quake. But was the scripture pointing to actual Seismological activity or was it using a metaphor to describe the manner and/or power of the nations rising up against each other?

What I am reading is basically: "Nation will rise up against nation and kingdom against kingdom and together with (te) great earthquakes . . . ", but nothing in the passage suggests and increase in frequency or magnitude, and could also be intepreted, I suppose, that the actaul rising up of nation against nation would be in a manner that would cause the world to be shaken or devastated as if by great earthquakes . . . a metaphor, not an actual Seismological prediction. And if the WTBTS, or any other presumed authority, has interpreted the passage to imply increased frequency or magnitude, I would qustion their basis for doing so.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

If it's anything like my wife's responses. When I point out that the paranoia/propaganda machine of the 'dubs is wrong on something, they still hang on to the bad news. My wife was really freaking out during the midst of the financial crises. Anytime I mention that things are good or better, they just hang on to the fear. Besides, any website other than JW.org is from the devil.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

By the way all civilizations of that era of human history thought earthquakes were caused by various and different angered god(s).

Yahweh and the ancient Judeans/Hebrews were just one of those ancient civilizations.

Based upon that premise, its no wonder and not surprising the ancient Israelites stated that their angered god

Yahweh would create earthquakes.

• Terry
    Terry

Looking for signs?

Watchtower leaders historically pick and choose whatever is handy and label it "a sign".

Russell identified a meteor shower in his day and time as "a sign in the heavens".

The launch of the Russian sputnik was identified as "A sign in the heavens" back in the late 50's.

That's the great thing about "signs"--it is up to the one interpreting what level and meaning and significance is there to be extracted.

A silly guessing game, really. But, when Leaders pretend it isn't wild speculation or imagination and pretend Jehovah whispers in their ears...

well, what is different about that and any other larceny?

How is it larceny?

The Governing Body systematically STEALS REALITY and substitutes a false alternative.

Every human being has a right to reality. Otherwise rational decisions cannot be made.

The "signs and wonders" are a distraction purposefully misdirecting attention to a phoney invisible Kingdom that the GB runs with insidious

hubris.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

The Greek term "seismoi" here should not be translated as "earthquakes." This word can refer to any type of agitation, even a "tempest" and is better translated to mean social unrest and instability in various places, not earthquakes. All the other signs are social in nature, such as the food shortages and pestilence. In that context, "social unrest " or "social agitations" is a better translation.

To me, "earthquakes" does not fit the context here, and thus the problem with it. But if translated as "social agitations" or social unrest in one place after the other, that fits the post WWI era leading into WWII.

I don't translate "seismoi" here as "earthquake." When you don't and apply it to a human or social context, then everything works out.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In support of Larsinger's post :

Mathew 8 24 :"And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep".

Accordong to "Blue Letter Bible" the word "tempest" is Greek seismos.

So it need not always be a literal earthquake, and it always seemed to be out of context in that verse, but then, I am not a scholar, so make up your own mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit