A simpler time..

by coffee_black 13 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was going through some old drawings and came across one my Dad drew of a place we used to go in Vermont many years ago. It was owned by jw friends of the family, and we went there every summer and every fall. I miss that old place... a 200 year old farmhouse sitting atop 1000 acres in Andover, VT. Spring water that you collected...kerocene lamps, wood stoves.... clean fresh air...good memories of a simpler times

Here's Dad's drawing... followed by one of mine on the side of the same house

dad's drawing

Vermont

Coffee

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Sounds wonderful Coffee.

Loz x

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

gifted!

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

This was the pantry in that old house...drawn from memory...somewhat enhanced...but still the same feeling....It seemed to always smell of blueberry pies and coffee... The house is pretty much gone now. Visited it 5 or 6 years ago... and it was just a shell.... so sad....

pantry

Coffee

• clarity
    clarity

Coffee ..... oh wow!

I will long for this 'time' until the day I die.

Physically hard but yes a simpler time, real & earthy.

>

Was there an old clothes line out back?

Remember the wonderful fresh smell ?

Unpegging the laundry that blew in the air & sun all day,

was heaven!

edited to add .....love the artist in you!

clarity

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Clarity....yes there was a clothes line...seen through the pantry window. The smell was wonderful! The water was the sweetest I ever tasted... from a spring on the property. It was an adventure to hike through the woods and bring back buckets to the house. In the evening we would read by lamp light... or play board games... There was a pump organ that my Dad would play sometimes and we'd sing along (not kingdom songs, lol) There was a windup Victrola with old old (Rudy Valley old) records we'd play and laugh about.... You could see 50 miles from the house.... The nearest house was a mile and a half away. There was also an old barn filled with the most interesting things... and an attic filled with magazines from the '30s and '40s...and lots of books and treasures....

There was such a sense of peace there....

Coffee

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

The house was owned by the Newton Family. Brenda Newton was a horticulturist...so there were lots of flowers. She actually had her own series on WGBH, Boston (PBS) Very interesting lady...and a jw till the day she died. She was from Melrose, MA, and this was their vacation home. Feeling nostalgic today.

Lol... The Vermont Country store is advertised on this page.... We used to go there often... in was in the next town over... Weston. I loved it as a kid.

Coffee

• clarity
    clarity

Hi Coffee ... Such nice memories to look back on ... so much

of who you are as a person today, no doubt.

>

Of course ... just look thru the window!

How could I miss those sheets drying out on the line! lol

>

Guess it is too long ago to pick up those old PBS shows ...is it?

>

Love to buy a little place like that today ....omg

if I could find a partner who was looking for that too I would .........

........oh dream on clarity

• james_woods
    james_woods

Those are some very beautiful and evocative images.

We will try to re-create such a feeling of primative peace and wellness in our mountain cabin.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Coffee - I like that drawing of the pantry with all the jars of pickled foods, just today I pickled some boiled eggs and last week some onions, for next week I've been trying to find the ultimate recipe for pickled okra.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit