Trousers

by chezza 18 Replies latest jw friends

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

I remember one meeting where a study and his wife came to the meeting for the first time. He, decked out in suit and tie and she wore an attractive pant suit. It seems all the old sisters were abuzz about her improper attire and couldn't wait to mention it to her.

The couple went ahead and was baptised a while later. She was the first to disassociate after less than a year. He became a good brother until he was caught screwing my sister-in-law and both were DF'd.

Found this mention in an old Awake:

*** g76 8/8 26 Dressing in a Modest and Attractive Way ***

For many women the pantsuit is quite practical and comfortable when shopping or for informal wear. But in some areas people would view it as unacceptable when, for example, attending religious meetings. A Christian woman is, therefore, wise to take into consideration the attitudes existing in the community where she lives. Thereby she can, to borrow the Bible phrase, ‘recommend herself to every human conscience.’—2 Cor. 4:2.

Besides encouraging that others be taken into consideration, the Bible counsels Christian women “to adorn themselves in well-arranged dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, . . . in the way that befits women professing to reverence God, namely, through good works.” (1 Tim. 2:9, 10) When a Christian woman’s apparel causes others to question whether she is true to her religious professions, her clothing obviously is no longer modest. The determining factor in this is not whether the item is a dress, skirt or a pair of slacks but what is expected in that locality of one who ‘professes to reverence God.’

Certain clothing, such as slacks, may be worn by both men and women. When that is the case, care has to be exercised not to wear a style that would make it difficult to distinguish a man from a woman. This would be in line with the spirit the law recorded at Deuteronomy 22:5: “No garb of an able-bodied man should be put upon a woman.”

So, many things determine a woman’s dressing modestly. Important are her attitude, her taste, her choice of material and her dressing to suit the occasion. She should know what is right for her and should stick to that no matter what current style or fad governs. Last, but not least, her quiet, mild, modest manner should shine through to others and her clothes should be a reflection of such modesty.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• chezza
    chezza

great article thanks for that research dakota, hope that helps you kist

• D8TA
    D8TA

Article:

When a Christian woman’s apparel causes others to question whether she is true to her religious professions, her clothing obviously is no longer modest.
    And if this person is living in poverty?

When a Christian woman’s apparel causes others to question whether she is true to her religious professions, her clothing obviously is no longer modest
    Do you get to wear a bathingsuit when baptized?

When that is the case, care has to be exercised not to wear a style that would make it difficult to distinguish a man from a woman.
    Of course! No one in the congregation would dare look at someones "chest area" to determine whether or not one had "breasts" or not....

Last, but not least, her quiet, mild, modest manner should shine through to others and her clothes should be a reflection of such modesty.
    Translation: Shutup and wear a dress.

D8TA

• Xander
    Xander

Do you get to wear a bathingsuit when baptized?

Well, yes, but it must be modest. Sisters must wear a single-piece, and brothers must wear t-shirts and trunks (no speedos here).

Wouldn't want to accidentally appear sexy. Can't have that.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • LB
    LB

I wore the t-shirt, but when I got wet my nipples showed right through

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

It is a good thing we men aren't judged by our dress. Or, is the Watchtower an even bigger group of hypocrits than I thought? From another 1976 Awake:

*** g76 9/22 9 Do Not Judge by Outward Appearance ***
    Do Not Judge by Outward Appearance

The Bible counsels against judging a person’s heart by his outward appearance. Even if he were to come to a meeting place of true Christians in ragged attire, he should be shown love and consideration.—Jas. 2:1-4.

This, the very month after the article I posted above! Women in clean, neat, well dressed pantsuits are a no no, but men in rags are okay? And, they say not to judge??????

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

I always thought it rediculous that women can't wear slacks. If you want to look at the norm, then pants are it. Look about the community in any western city or suburb. Slacks, trousers or pants are far more common than frocks and skirts. So there goes that argument.

Let's face it. Frocks are the choice of the men making the rules. They obviously like to perv over women's legs!

Marilyn

• Angharad
    Angharad

It was always an no no in our hall too. I wore trousers to meeting a few times. When I was pregnant (due in a few weeks), I had been wearing a baggy trouser suit which was about the only thing I had left that was comfortable. It was smart so I wore it to the meeting. I got loads of backhanded comments off sisters and one elder came and commented on it. Being full of hormones etc and the fact this elder was also my brother in law I basically told him to get lost and it was either the smart trousers or my maternity JEANS (heaven forbid).[8>]

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

To dress up or not to dress up... THAT is the question!

If you don't get it right, you will be condemned to be destroyed at Armageddon!!!!! Muahahahahaha!

"My yoke is kindly and my load is light." Yeah right!

"As every one knows, there are mistakes in the Bible" - The Watchtower, April 15, 1928, p. 126
    Believe in yourself, not mythology.
    <x ><

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit