JWs Could Learn A Lot from the First Baptist Church

by jamiebowers 15 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The other day I found a red plastic bag hanging on the knob of our exterior door. It contained a calendar with beautiful landscape scenes and scriptures for every month of the year. I'm not a Bible believer, but I hung up the calendar because of the pretty pictures. It is a win/win in my view. The First Baptist Church gets to share its faith without intrusion on my life, and I get a free calendar. I'm pretty sure jws would be much more accepted in society if they did something similar.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I remember they used to have calendars, but as I recall it was only one picture and tear-away simple printed monthly sheets.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

JWs have calendars.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

The WTS does put out calendars, but they are small, ugly useless things with photos of the organization's sales force out and about distributing the rags and lit.

I have never liked them.

• jgnat
    jgnat

They've cheapened the calendar. It has some sort of time grid thing on it now.

My church hands out a daily prayer booklet with a nice seasonal picture on the front, four each year.

Hubby covers his daily reader and the calendar with Paradise scenes. He is also a secret sucker for the doo-dads (pens, bookmarks and suchlike) at the local bible book store. I guess he likes to pretend his are as nice as mine.

• Ding
    Ding

If the WT did up calendars for field service, each month's picture would probably feature a different scene of destruction at Armageddon...

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

JW calendars are lame. Every Saturday they say something stupid like "GO IN SERVICE"

Then they don't mark any of the holidays, so the thing is f'n worthless when you try to schedule something around the days you get off from work!

I did see the 2013 one at my dads house the other day, had a new order scene where some guys were surfing. That seems like quite a departure from the usual gardening and fruit platter consumption that fills most paradise scenes.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

They used to put out fairly decent calendars back in the 80s. I remember one from probably '87 that featured 12 different pictures, one of which was a couple out in field service near Beirut, Lebanon. You could see planes dropping bombs on another part of the city. There was another picture of people leaving a KH in some Central American country where there were armed soldiers milling around outside.

These pictures were designed to make all of us slobs living in peaceful places feel extreme guilt at our lame excuses for not going out in service.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I don't remember Watch Tower calendars, but there's a lot that I've blocked out in the last 25 years. I think it's safe to say that jws have never just given away calendars without bothering people in the door to door work as the First Baptist Church did where I live.

• Kojack57
    Kojack57

If the witnesses would make a calendar of good looking naked women reading the daily text and reading the bible, it might be worth having.

Kojack

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit