I Got a Call from "Microsoft" This Morning....

by jamiebowers 18 Replies latest jw friends

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

and it was a scam. Just a heads up to you all. I hung up on the guy and Googled "Microsoft called me at home" to find that this has been going on in the UK and Australia for years. It seems the thieves have branched out to the USA, offering to clean computers of malware and viruses. They direct you to download software that allows them to control your computer by remote in order to steal any valuable data and then have the nerve to charge you for it.

• Prefect
    Prefect

You are right. Here in the UK we have been getting them for years. I used to tell them to P*** O**.

They still kept calling. So now when they call I ask them to hang on for a minute then place the phone in front of the Television and let them listen to that. I

replace the hand set after half an hour.

I do not know how long they listen. But I find it is satsifying to do that.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

yea and I knew a friend stupid enough to believe it. Downloaded all this stuff and now he's got CC issues

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Entertain them. Tell them you are just going to get your laptop and leave them hanging. When you are worried they are about to hang up, pretend you have found it but the battery is flat and you now have to find the charger .... oh dear, you just had the blue screen of death and are waiting for it to restart ..... Now it says you should contact your dealer and won't start, but you have a desktop should you start that up? ......... whoops, blue screen what should I do now? .... etc .... When they ask what it is tell them it's an Atari or Commodore 64.

• Prefect
    Prefect

Black Sheep

Thats a good one. I think I will try that next time.

I will not tell the that my computor is a Apple though.

• Listener
    Listener

We were getting a call every week for over a year and they will not take no for an answer. I've tried everything to make them stop talking. They are from an Indian call centre.

I've tried making them feel guilty by explaining how they are lying and shouldn't be doing that for a living. I also say that it makes their country look very bad. One guy was upset and told me how he had to make a living as he was going through college and it was the firm to blame, not him, at least he was being honest and I thanked him for that and said I hoped his college education went well. Another guy got very angry with me and said he was going to hijack my computer. I told him it wasn't possible but then I realized that these guys are computer lit. and our wifi connection goes through the same telephone line that I was speaking on so I thought I had better hang up.

This is not the only scam the Indian call centres are doing. Another one is calling up and saying they are from the Canberra Government Centre and there is money that is claimable.

I feel sorry for the guys that have put themselves in the position of needing money to do this type of work.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

yep

been getting these calls for the last 5-6 years, all from India, once i blow a whistle down the phone.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Listener, when they tell me they're calling from Microsoft, I say "no, really, you are not" and put the phone down.

That's all you have to do.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Yep. It's a fairly widespread scam.

Microsoft corporation does not actively monitor individual PCs for viruses. They just don't.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Isn't the job of homeland security or cia to handle shit like this???!

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit