With elders like that, who needs Pharisees!

by 00DAD 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I'm sure you're all familiar with the quip, "With friends like that, who needs enemies!"

A recent thread got me thinking about how this easily applies to the organization in general and to many of the elders in particular. Now I know, there are some few good elders out there (God knows I tried to be one). But even the best-intentioned elders are still "tools" running WT Software. At best, they are harmless. At worst, they are dangerous!

Yes, some of the elders are truly frightening. They seeminly get off on abusing the flock. Hence the expression:

• With elders like that, who needs Pharisees!

(I think I just coined that! Cool, huh? Feel free to use it.)

I'd invite you to share some of your most poignant experiences highlighting the Pharisaical nature of the typical elder or elder body. Feel free to express yourself. Pull no punches!

I'll start things off:

Once, years ago in a Kingdom Hall far, far away, after falling into a practice of "sin" I requested some help from the elders. A Judicial Committee was assigned to hear my request for assistance.

In my request, I included a reference to the parable of the Prodigal Son thinking that it would indicate my contrite attitude and soften their stony hearts. I was wrong.

During the meeting, one elder told me that if we were still under the Mosaic Law that they'd take me outside and stone me to death.

Shocked, but not quite speechless, I reminded him that we are under the Law of the Christ and that he might want to take a glance at John 8:1-11.

Not too surprisingly, said elder did not appreciate me pointing any of this out. Apparently, I was supposed to take the verbal "stoning" and like it.

Now I've read the account of the Prodigal Son hundreds of times. I've never noticed the Father saying anything to his returning son like, "Welcome home son. Sorry, but we're going to have to take you outside and stone you to death." I guess I must've missed it.

The upshot was the Judicial Committee declined to give me any further "spiritual help." At the time it frustrated and upset me; I felt abused, but obviously it was a blessing. I learned a valuable lesson: With elders like that, who needs Pharisees!

00DAD

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I actually had a man (I use the term losely) attempt to disrespect me in front of my wife. Notice the word attempt. It was one of those "we are talking to her not to you" kind of things. I almost popped his head off, and this is when I was a solid JW. Later when I was counceled for "fits of anger" they explained that their "lordship" was to be respected.

A buddy of mine was removed as an MS from one of the biggest tools in the area, and he told me that they had a meeting where this guy actually said the same thing. You need to respect our Lordship. You should not have run ahead and called the branch, we are their representatives. If Christ has us in his hands, you should trust us. Respecting us is respecting his headship.......and other such gems.

Little does this guy know the word is out on him. The sisters in his own congregation gave him a nickname. Know what it is? The Pharisee.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

yep, once I had to tell an elder face to face: "I thought only 1 can judge?"............... "you're claiming to read my mind?"

when the elders complaint was on "supposed" thoughts of mine, he had to back off!

• prologos
    prologos

in amy given BOE, guess which Pharisee will set the tone? The leaven of the Pharisees spreading from the top down.

Jesus: --" you ,though, are not to be that way--" Luke 25:26

• perfect1
    perfect1

00D- there is a moment in Rays trial video where they mention stoning him as well- must be a thing they do.

Anyone know the exact spot where that is- As we know it is a lengthy video series.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

and it all depends on what is up their butt for the moment. I've seen pregnant single saister walk into the hall, and no one says a word. I've seen people get themselves into some trouble that is not nearly as obvious as pregnancy, and they hang'em high. It's so inconsistant arbritary.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Hi all, thanks for your comments!

problemaddict: The sisters in his own congregation gave him a nickname. Know what it is? The Pharisee.

Funny! Except there are a lot o' guys with that nickname. He's lucky you didn't take his head off. His "lordship." What an ass. I can't figure out which they are more full of: themselves or shit? Maybe they're the same thing!

DaCheech: yep, once I had to tell an elder face to face: "I thought only 1 can judge?"............... "you're claiming to read my mind?"when the elderscomplaint was on "supposed" thoughts of mine, he had to back off!

Good for you standing up for yourself and righteousness. I don't suppose it won you any friends.

prologos: in amy given BOE, guess which Pharisee will set the tone? The leaven of the Pharisees spreading from the top down.

Yeah, I don't know. I only served on two elder bodies and it wasn't necessarily the PO/COBE that set the tone.

Sometimes the PO was only a figure-head and it was another elder or elder(s) or their wives that seemed to have the most influence. No matter how you slice it, it's still a shit sandwich. They make up a bunch of rules that aren't scriptural and expect everyone to bow down to them.

perfect1 : there is a moment in Rays trial video where they mention stoning him as well- must be a thing they do.

Really? I'm not all that surprised. I tried watching some of RP's vids but had to stop. They made me ill.

wha happened?: It's so inconsistant

Exactly. And that's the point really, isn't it!

They make up a bunch of rules (sometimes as they go along). It's all about keeping them in authority and anyone not on their team (READ: Under their control) off balance and without any authority.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yep, one year I saw one sister walk in who everyone knew was living with her boyfriend and high as a kite on prescription drugs, followed by the reinstatement of the PO's daughter after attending meetings for 1 month. It's who ya know

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

OODAD:

I had no use for most elders. In addition to being "company" men, all they cared about was their reputation and their immediate families.

Some of them are just plain ignorant and filled with bias. They listen to gossip of the popular cliques and treat certain talk like it was gospel truth.

Several years before my "fade", I decided to keep the elders at a distance. I did not want ANY conversation with them and certainly didn't want these so-called shepherds in my life!

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

The elders at my JC were certainly the Pharisee type. One shook the Bible at me and said, "we don't have to tell you what this says. You know the rules". He was the same one who told me that since he personally could not work as a musician without "sinning" he assumed I must be the same. The appeal group was like night and day - but when they asked me if I wanted to share anything about the original elders I said no, afraid to criticize them and thinking that somehow Jehovah would do the right thing by me.

Then there was the nasty elder on the committee I had to deal with after I moved. He used to beat his kids senseless in the bedroom at the book study every time for reasons like not having bowed their head during the prayer. He was just mean for the sake of meanness. He got killed in a farm accident before the committee ever got around to reinstating me. I found it hard to feel any sorrow.

When I was younger I recall one elder who would pick at everything I did and criticize me. After I had kids, one meeting he told me to take my 2-year-old daughter to the back because we were sitting in the front row and she was looking back at him and making faces and laughing.

Then there is my brother the uber elder. So holy and righteous that he tried to take my kids from me because I wasn't attending meetings. When my youngest daughter attended her cousin's wedding he made her leave the area where "family" was seated. My daughter isn't baptized and has had nothing to do with JWs since she was 10 years old. He just judges her through me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit