I had a Christmas card from Ewan Mcgregor

by Xanthippe 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Oh ok so did everyone who supports Unicef - but he's so gorgeous . Anyway it's good to know my little contribution is giving kids in Syria clean water, blankets, warm clothes, winter-proof tents and vaccinations. Just makes me feel a little better when I look at that vale of tears on the news.

What's your favourite charity?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Nice for you. I only need to go down the streets in my area.

S

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Satanus, I may be misunderstanding you but you seem to be saying it's alright for me as I live in a really nice neighbourhood, have loads of money and don't have any problems. Is that what you're saying?

I don't have loads of money and I live in a really tiny house. I grew up in near poverty because my father was a manual worker who grew up in the second world war and had little education.

The reason I give to charity is because I know what it is like to be very, very poor, wear second-hand clothes and always to want more food after a meal.

I just think it is a really positive thing that so many people who we usually have never heard of have started charities because they are good people and they care. Like Eglantyne Jebb who started Save the Children in 1919 to help German and Austrian children who were starving after WW1. She was helping the children of people, some of whom had bombed her own country. But they were just innocent children, just like we were. They were captives of a concept, you know?

There are good people in this world and I cling on to that thought because having been mixed up in a fundamentalist religion I came across some of the worst kinds of people. I don't know about you but I need to believe there are good people doing good stuff after some of the sociopaths I have met.

• rickisteel
    rickisteel

ilike mr mcgregor as im a biker , but he aint sent me one

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Did he apologise for his part in Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 ?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

My favorite is Doctors Without Borders.

• St George of England
    St George of England

... and he's still friends with Charley (I think) so he can't be so bad!

George

PS - The Donkey Sanctuary

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

rickisteel

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

NewChapter, Doctors Without Borders are amazing aren't they? I so admire the work they do.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

St George, I really enjoyed those series he did with Charley Boorman too, Long Way Round etc.

The Donkey Sanctuary is a great charity. Those lovely animals have carried human burdens for thousands of years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit