Since the wt is discredited, what is the pillar and support of truth now?

by prologos 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

<<<< is there an entity that can be shown to be the latter- day "-----pillar and support of truth---" Paul was writing about at I Tim 3:15.? >>>>

No, there isn't. And there is no evidence to support the conclusion that the bible is any more valuable as an explanation of life on this planet than Mad magazine or Hustler.

In a thousand years, people might be worshipping Larry Flynt in the same way they currently worship Jesus.

• itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat
    itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat

Not if Heff has anything to say about it!

• prologos
    prologos

charico, thank you, yes I could have worded it better, it never was the P&S of absolute truth, neither does the text imply that there has to be any "pillar and support of truth" outside or AFTER what Timothy understood it to mean. Sharing stimulating thoughts here is one thing, but it is huddling around a fire? blessings.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Paul continues with:

"Beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great:

He appeared in the flesh,
    was vindicated by the Spirit,
    was seen by angels,
    was preached among the nations,
    was believed on in the world,
    was taken up in glory."

I like Mark Twain's quote,

"We are always hearing of people who are around seeking after the Truth. I have never seen a (permanent) specimen. I think he has never lived. But I have seen several entirely sincere people who thought they were (permanent) Seekers after the Truth. They sought diligently, persistently, carefully, cautiously, profoundly, with perfect honesty and nicely adjusted judgment- until they believed that without doubt or question they had found the Truth. That was the end of the search. The man spent the rest of his hunting up shingles wherewith to protect his Truth from the weather."
    - "What is Man?

In other words, anyone who claims to have found it has already lost it. Pursuit of the truth is a lifetime goal, and no-one should lay this task down.

Find a nugget of truth, bask in it, enjoy it, and live by it. Find another.

• Christ Alone
    Christ Alone

Jesus IS the truth, according to the Bible. (John 14:6)

The truth is not an organization.

The truth is not even being absolutely certain that your particular set of beliefs is absolutely correct.

You are in the truth if you believe in Jesus Christ, as far as the scriptures go. That's it.

• Perry
    Perry

The same as it has been since the days of the Apostles ....Christ Alone.

You must do business with Jesus Himself. Like the theif on the cross (stake or whatever... it doesn't really matter) just turn your head towad Jesus and start talking.

That's it. It works.

• prologos
    prologos

texas: "-- start talking---" I am afraid of monologues. it is the conversations like these that advance, bring out my ideas, so I am gratful to be here.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

The truth is anything that is not false

The pillar is those that have the courage to reject that which is false even if it is not politically or morally correct.

The support is acurate science.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I suggest what freed me. Reading the Bible in consecutive verses, entire books at a time. I would not start with any commentaries. Ask yourself what it means to you. No one has more authority than you do.

I found the Bible a pillar. Other people were a pillar. Education,in general, was a pillar. I have been away so long I forget what it was like to have questions, which I always did, and to realize questions are more important than answers.

God means different things to different people. We each have a different experience. Validate your experience.

In my present tradition, the clergy refuse to give me WT like answers even when I press. Question everyone's legitmacy, not only the WT.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Who says you need an organisation or pre-set of rules as pillar of support? To me, the best one is yourself and how you find it is up to you as an invidual... whether it's atheism, Jesus, the bible etc... find your own values, what makes sense to you and be free as nothing more than the real you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit