Burger King and Going Out in Service

by teenyuck 12 Replies latest jw friends

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

As I stepped out of the shower yesterday the phone rang. Thinking it was my husband, who had just left, I answered without checking caller ID. It was my mother. (as I sat naked on the floor, I wondered why I didn't hang up on her)

She wanted to tell me about going out in service yesterday. I was truly confused on why she would call to tell me this. Then she told me about the "rest" they took in Burger King. Apparently they (she and her door to door cohorts) stopped at Burger King during the morning and stayed--awhile.

She wanted to let me know that Burger King has the better hamburger---over McDonald's. I asked how many people were home and how many took the mags. None. She gave no mags to anyone. Left them in the door. No one answered the doors.

I think she is getting....senile? She is only 63!

She told me how cold it was (Chicago), how nice and warm Burger King was, and how it is so much fun! (Fun??!!)I asked why doesn't she wear pants when going door to door? "It would not look right." She froze her butt in a skirt! I said that is stupid....why freeze when you could at least be a little warmer? No answer, just "well that's the way we do it...you remember." I again said it was stupid.

I am so glad I am not wasting my Saturday going house to house, begging for money, hoping I won't see a school friend at the door, and freezing my ass off!!

• Introspection
    Introspection
    She wanted to tell me about going out in service yesterday. I was truly confused on why she would call to tell me this. Then she told me about the "rest" they took in Burger King.

But isn't it obvious? At Burger King, you can have it your way..

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

Here in the Northwest, it is stops at Burgerville, a semi local copy of Burger King.

I'll never forget my first time out in service. I was told how to wear comfortable shoes and be prepared for a "full day." Since teh weather was nice, for a change, I was prepared. Had my book bag filled, wore a freshly pressed suit and tie, highly shined shoes, the whole bit. It was a short time prior to my being baptized and I was in my early 40s.

I got the KH early Saturday morning for the meeting, eagerly anticipating spreading "the Good News." By 10 A.M. we were heading out to a territory. We knocked on a few doors and by 10:45, we were sitting in the nearest Burgerville, ordering coffee, danish's, whatever we wanted. Around 11:30, we headed abck to the territory and knocked on a couple more doors. By Noon, we had packed up and was back at the KH, where we all headed our own way.

I should have seen then that spreading the 'Good News" was secondary to socializing at the Burgerville, but like most, had my JW blinders on.

Now, I spread the Good News by living a peaceful life (as much as the dub family permits me to) and showing others that I practice what I preach. No more meetings or disturbing people who already have their own religion. No more socializing at Burgerville or anywhere else, with dubs. In short, no more hypocritcal preaching!

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• SYN
    SYN

FS was *CRUSHINGLY* boring for me, most of the time. I couldn't stand it, honestly. It was just so horrible. I did perfect my salesman skills during my Dub days, tho. They proved useful later on in life when I worked at a large retail chain store and my manager was always asking me to show the new guys how to sell things to people. I had it made!

"...the greater will be the beneficial effect, because you get more of the ultra-violet rays, which are healing" - The Golden Age
    [SYN], UADA
    - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

No Burger King for me. It was too fast of a service. We went to the breakfast place that made everything from 'scratch'! As a matter of fact there was a sign just inside the door that said, 'If you are in a hurry, you're in the wrong place!'

Yep, got in a lot of 'time' that way. Left a couple of magazines in the lobby on the way out!

Outaservice (Thank God)

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey puffs - your ma don't wear pants when she goes out in service ? you mean she goes commando ? woohoo ! ( i guess this is a brit thing ...)

agree with her about the bk v mcd's

• Patriot
    Patriot

..."as I sat naked on the floor, I wondered why I didn't hang up on her.."

Thank for that detail..it's details that make a post interesting.

Mav.-
    Trying to imagine that

• VM44
    VM44

Doesn't Burger King offer vegetarian (non-meat) burgers now?

I want to try one of those, it might be good.

--VM44

• KJV
    KJV

I heard that Burger King got Dairy Queen pregnant.

He couldn't control his "whopper".

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke
    I heard that Burger King got Dairy Queen pregnant.

No, it was Ronald McDonald with his impressive Quarter-Pounder.

The Pope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit