Does God's foreknowledge take away from free will?

by Christ Alone 317 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• still thinking
    still thinking

So tec....when you say you 'know' god is real....is that a guess too?

And all these facts you appear to 'know' about what god wants....are they 'guesses'? Maybe 'educated guesses'?

• tec
    tec

So tec....when you say you 'know' god is real....is that a guess too?

No.

And all these facts you appear to 'know' about what god wants....are they 'guesses'? Maybe 'educated guesses'?

What I know about God comes from looking at Christ: His Image, Word, and Truth.

Sometimes it is something I think I know. Sometimes it is something that He has shown me.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Really, ST? Why did you even go there....

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades
    Because 'guess' does not adequately describe it. Definition of guess is to predict without sufficient information.
    Educated guess is a bit better. But I don't think that is entirely accurate as well.
    'Know' comes closest of all of these. Knowing every action of everyone ever? Can't say as I think this is right.

why is educated guess not okay? what you've been saying sounds like a textbook definition of an educated guess.

or a very informed guess, but still a guess nonetheless.

• tec
    tec

why is educated guess not okay? what you've been saying sounds like a textbook definition of an educated guess.
    or a very informed guess, but still a guess nonetheless.

I didn't say it was not okay. I just don't think it is entirely accurate. That could also be my feelings around the word 'guess'.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

Because I wanted to KNOW EP...lol

I wanted to know if there was a similarity with KNOWING what your kids will do before they do it...and KNOWING a God.

Maybe there are different types of knowing...or if everything is an 'educated guess'.

A lot of information is imparted on this forum about what god wants etc....like people KNOW these things...not just from tec...but I thought I'd ask her since she's discussing this knowing business.

If our KNOWING is very different to gods KNOWING how on earth can we KNOW what he wants? Or anything about him? We can only guess.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

what would be not accurate about that phrase?

• tec
    tec

what would be not accurate about that phrase?

If I knew, I would say so. If I come to know better than what I think right now, then I will share it.

Sincerely sorry that I can't be more clear than this, at this time.

Sometimes I think our language quite simply does not accurately describe a lot of things. That is one of the reasons we have metaphors and such; to help where our words lack.

Peace,

tammy

• still thinking
    still thinking

What I know about God comes from looking at Christ: His Image, Word, and Truth.

Like when you know (or think you know/guess) what your son will do?

Sometimes it is something I think I know. Sometimes it is something that He has shown me. Sometimes in is something you 'think' he has shown you. How is that different from sometimes 'thinking' you know? How do you differntiate between what you 'think' you know, and what you 'do' know when it comes to god? Do you have a real example? Or just that you think what you know is now correct?
  • tec
    tec

Like when you know (or think you know/guess) what your son will do?

Not sure how this question applies to what I said.

Sometimes in is something you 'think' he has shown you.
    No. Never said or even implied that. If that is something you are saying about me... then any questions that come from what you think can only be answered by you. Because it is not what I said.
    How is that different from sometimes 'thinking' you know?
    Don't know what you're asking. Unless that is a spin off your own statement about me?
    How do you differntiate between what you 'think' you know, and what you 'do' know when it comes to god?
    What I do know, He has shown me or revealed to me, or told me. What i think I know... is from my own reasoning, based on what I DO know. Educated guess... but not necessarily correct. Peace, tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit