A Mormon becomes a JW in the Feb 2013 Watchtower...

by cedars 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Cold Steel - non of the people leaving cite the US as any part of the decision. People are leaving because the church lied about certain key historical things, it obfuscated important contextual facts, it changed doctrine and ritual that it claimed was unchangeable, it failed every scientific challenge, it has been unable to replicate the supposed miracles of Jesus and perhaps the most telling of all - it has proven time and again that wealth and money are its unspoken aim. Your (!) Church has spent more money by several orders of magnitude on setting up businesses than it ever has on charitable works.

By their fruits....

• Podobear
    Podobear

Any Mormon/current JW with an answer to my enquiry 4 days ago?... what is the current Mormon attitude towards Shunning as shown in the film "Latter Days"? and, I understand that the Mormons have a LGBT group, do JWs currently have such a group to help such ones?

any comment would be appreciated.

• designs
    designs

You can't go wrong with Thor. I read the book and saw the movie, its all real.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

@podobear...

Mormons have openly gay members who choose not to follow a gay lifestyle in terms of sex - essentially remaining celibate. You can find examples of this on the web. I also note that there are LGBT groups for Mormons.

JWs have nothing of the sort. Although it is recognised that individuals may have homesexual desires an individual could only remain an approved witness if they remained celibate. It is the rarest exception for an individual to be known as gay, the only examples being where one has become a witness (or been reinstated) after openly practising a homosexual lifestyle. It is essentially unknown for any "born in" to openly come out as gay but remain celibate. There are 0 official or even unoffically tolerated groups for ones who may be gay but wish to remain a witness.

No one can have homesexual relationships and remain a witness. They would be disfellowshipped. This includes a relationships where the law allows gay marriage. So even if an individual did not have sex until after marriage to their partner they would be disfellowshipped.

The only way of being gay and remaining an approved witness is to suppress any sexual desires. The other way was to go to Bethel and be abused by one or two of the top bods but they seemingly have even got rid of that now.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I haven't seen the film you mention so I cant comment on that. I have known several members in good standing who were homosexual and who held church callings and attended the temple. Mormons, in the UK, approach things in a don't ask manner however, since all members are under the same 'law of chastity'(basically no non married sex)this poses a unique challenge. Mormons of course do not accept gay marriage. This denial of the right to marry out of desire has been the storm that has sent many lds gay men into depression, suicide and misguided straight marriages. At its most extreme the church sponsored some pretty immoral aversion therapies as well. Now, pressured by secular society and from the liberal members within it is repackaging its gay offering but it is still underpinned by a 'love the sinner hate the sin' ethos. The church is making huge media steps and baby equality steps with regards homosexuality. I suspect we will need the old hardliners to die before we see meaningful change but the groundwork is starting.

With regards to shunning it is not too formal (unless you are a vocal apostate) and in many ways the attempt to reclaim 'lost sheep' wouldnt work if shunning was encouraged. In effect some members may unofficially shun and family members are still capable of crazy things so you will always find horror stories.

• Podobear
    Podobear

@ Konceptual 99 and Qmbr:

Thank you for coming back to me. I would urge you to watch the film. It moved me.

The Missionary in the film was all but rejected my his Father... his mother follows the lead.. but, eventually Motherly love wins the day.

As You both say neither group seems to accept that Sexual Orientation is a biological and Natural thing and there is little or no provision for JWs to seek comfort and help in a safe haven.

Truly sad in a Modern world.

• new22day
    new22day

A Mormon becomes a Jdub, proving that for some people it's just easier to follow and let others do the thinking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit