share your reaction after reading CoC and ISoCF

by suavojr 42 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I had to sneak those books and had them sent to my work where I would chapters every day and night, before I went home.

• blondie
    blondie

His books confirmed what I already knew but had no one to talk to about it. It gave me the courage to follow through on leaving without hesitation. So many things happened within a period of 2 months that all fit together. As to losing belief in God, Ray wrote the books and he did not lose his belief, he just did not believe in the WTS God. Reading Ray's books would not lead you to that losing belief in God. It would take research in other areas and your personal conclusion. Ray did not feel he was the master of anyone's faith except his own.

I was shown hospitality many times by Ray and Cynthia and we broke bread and shared stories and learned about our lives apart from the WTS.

• Pterist
    Pterist

As I was shunned by a work mate for doubting the 607 - 1914 chronology of Christ's invisible presence in kingdom power over the earht, and uniquely choose the WTS to preach this NEW good news, I was greatly encouraged that I was not alone.

Brother Franz books were a great comfort to get the big picture and also tapes I received from Brother Dunlop aided me not to throw the baby out with the bath water. 1 Thessalonians 5:21

Shalom

• suavojr
    suavojr

No one else wants to share??

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

They changed my life and my husbands. I started to read books about the JW's first and I would tell my husband about upsetting things I read. He would give me the canned response and I said to him "that is exactly what they said you would say"! He said well when you are done I will read it! He hasn't stopped reading since I gave him COC. We are fading at this point but it could change at any time to DA. I had so much anger when I found out the TTATT. I still fight with the anger of existing 30 years of my life in this cult. My husband was a born in and lost 58 years of his life to it. We are thankful that Ray took the time to write two books to help others in the cult. We have given this book to a few friends that have been very grateful to find out the reat truth.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I had DA'd several years before I read CoC. I knew that the WTS was not Jehovah's organization, and I knew it was corrupt, but I didn't know if what they taught was the truth. CoC cleared that up for me. I knew that it was all utter codswallop and I could let it go. I have ISoCF but haven't read it yet.

• Emery
    Emery

When I read ISOCF, the chapter on "The Faithful and Discreet Slave" completely freed me. I have never felt so many burdens falling off of my shoulders all at once, a moment I will always remember until I die. The day it happened, I literally sat there in my chair and said to myself, "Wow, they have no authority over me..." They have no absolute right to disfellowship anyone, set rules, interpret the bible, or any thing! 1914 doesn't even have to be argued for or against... its all garbage! I didn't cry or feel nausia, I felt a rather amazing relief, from all the guilt I had felt over my spiritual life. Once that was over, I did what probably most of you did and started reminiscing on all the lost opportunities which were sacrificed for this ridiculous cult; relationships, friendships, high school sports, earlier college entry, music, hobbies, etc.

However, I did read CofC first and I remember everything clicked while reading it. Questions and suspicions which were never directly addressed or ignored during my indoctrination were finally coming to light. When Ray details the events leading up to his judicial committee, it ALL sounded so typical and seemed like it was WT edict to approach things from a "guilty until proven innocent" manner. Understanding fully the machine that is the Watchtower helped me put into place their agenda and strategies which prohibit us from researching or reading such literature. No one ever reading this autobiography and expose would remain a Witness. The history and facts were carefully laid out in an objective and loving manner, this helped me get through Franz book and eliminate the presuppositions I had about "apostate literature." Realizing that the WT has to completely misrepresent the postition taken by those who have left the movement is what made me the most angry. All humans make mistakes, I am personally fine with sincere human error, however when you cover over those mistakes with blatant dishonesty, you reap the wrath of heartbroken individuals.

• suavojr
    suavojr

All humans make mistakes, I am personally fine with sincere human error, however when you cover over those mistakes with blatant dishonesty, you reap the wrath of heartbroken individuals.

wow emery, very well said!

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe

I read CofC but have never read In search of christian freedom. I read the book when I was probably 18 or 19. I really don't remember a whole lot about the book because I grew up with the Internet and had read most things that were in his book already. The one thing that did stand out to me was that in 1983 there is a part where he talks about the generations teaching and stating how they were eventually going to have to change it. That part really opened my eye that the evil apostate that satan controlled wrote about a core doctrine at the time and how it was wrong. How did HE know? Was it Satan that wanted him to tell the truth? Well of course not, it was at that moment I knew that I no longer had to worry myself with destruction or absolute obedience to the "society". Did love the book though.

Second topic, anyone notice that the term "society" is not used anymore but the term "the branch" has taken its place?

• Mum
    Mum

I read CoC in the mid '80's. I have never read In Search of Christian Freedom. At the time I read the book, I had already been out for about 5 years. It was eye-opening anyway. I hadn't realized the part about Christ not being mediator for the "great crowd." That is so stupid; but if I had stayed with the dubs, I probably would have gone along with it.

Because I was married to an elder, I had already seen some of the underside of the borg. Still, it was enlightening to find out it still worked the same way at the very top.

I am grateful for Ray Franz and his work. I am sure he saved a lot of people from lives of misery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit