How important is evidence to your world view?

by snare&racket 69 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

but I figured people knew what I meant x

Ya, I was just being a brat ;)

Peace,

tammy

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

No, no... I meant it, you were right. It may get misintepreted as....'what I consider fact'. But i did think about the wording and facts exist, but despte that some still debate them, so even a FACT is not bomb proof to some. So i left it in as people would at least understand my question.

Thanks for your comment and for being honest.

i'm dying to ask you how Christ can be a) and scripture last on the list, when your only source for christ a) is actually at the bottom of your list c) scripture.

BUT I am tired and I dont want anyone to mistake my sincere interest as unplesant criticism, its quite possible as I am a bit grumpy and knackered. I look forward to seeing the replies in the morning.

night all xxx

snare

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I'm very clinical when it comes to my decision making. But to this day. I still can't figure out why I decided to abandon that way of decision making, and simply accept something as stated in a book, handed to me by a JW

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

"wha happen" did you work for "International Bakery"?

• wha happened?
  • sizemik
    sizemik

Anything metaphysical is really in the category of speculation . . . so apart from the mental stimulation of indulging a sense of wonder, it has no effect on my world view. Everybody's world view contains gaps where the unknown resides, and it seems foolish to me to change a world view on account of speculative imaginings.

Evidential proof pretty much shapes it. Anything beyond that clouds rather than clarifies. As far as actual evidence is concerned, quality is as important as quantity. It sometimes only takes one or two examples of strong evidence to disqualify a whole alternative world view. Chronology, for example, renders the OT account of the earths "creation" as entirely allegorical . . . myth. A polite word for bullshit.

• tec
    tec

For tomorrow then:

i'm dying to ask you how Christ can be a) and scripture last on the list, when your only source for christ a) is actually at the bottom of your list c) scripture.

Christ (the Spirit) opens the scriptures. The scriptures do not open Christ. The scriptures can be and have been misunderstood or interpreted in various ways for thousands of years.

Christ in spirit can confirm the scriptures... or open them up so that one understands what is meant by what is written.

Or... one can just go to Christ, in spirit, and hear from the source.

Peace,

tammy

• Fernando
    Fernando

The work of Professor Stanislav Grof, a progressive Psychiatrist, in transpersonal psychology, is one of numerous indicators that science will speak ever louder on transcendental matters such as faith and spirituality.

If only physical evidence satisfies us, we will be dissatisfied with this new direction in science, which draws largely on phenomenological methods.

(Phenomenology as Research Method)

• Fernando
    Fernando

Can we learn anything from the evidence resulting from decades of practicing so called evidence based medicine?

• 20 million Australians have a 100% chance of getting and dying from Chronic Disease (89% of the population).
    • 219 million Americans have a 100% chance of getting and dying from Chronic Disease (70% of the population).

Sometimes we cannot see the forest for the trees.

We have become so focused on evidence and progress in "SickCare" (cure), that we have badly neglected pursuing evidence and progress in "HealthCare" (prevention).

Now instead of changing our ways we quickly rationalise the above statistics.

But we don't actually believe our own lies.

Who of us, when asked how we expect to die, answer: "I have a 70% to 90% chance of getting and dying from Chronic Disease"?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I don't know what point you are making, Ferd. We have (in America) a 70% chance of dying from a chronic disease. It's not a 100% chance. At least not until you get it yourself. So evidence shows that we have a 70% chance of dying from a chronic disease---and a 30% chance we will not. Are you asking us to be fortune tellers, and if we are not, we are not processing the evidence? Sorry---just don't get your point.

Everyone understands that we have a good chance of getting a chronic disease. We all hope it isn't us. Big deal? Refusing to accept the evidence would be the person who actually gets the disease and refuses to make adjustments and take medication because they are in denial.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit