How important is evidence to your world view?

by snare&racket 69 Replies latest jw friends

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

If you had to make a decision on a fact being true, what would be the deciding factor for you... Your feelings and faith, scriptural statement or evidence presented by modern science?

E.g. Would scripture trump evidence, or would faith trump scripture etc

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

When you say world view, snare, do you mean some kind of philosophy, or a fact about the world?

Impossible to answer unless one knows what you mean.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Not to worry Charliko, you dont have to answer anything you find impossible. Let others answer.

Its not a trick question.

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I live for evidence but there are areas (meta-physical realm) where faith is required, so both are important to my world view!

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I live for evidence but there are areas (meta-physical realm) where faith is required, so both are important to my world view!

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I like evidence. I'm a "checks and balances", make a chart or pie graph, alphabetical order kind of gal.

Pro: this kind of organized, non-emotional type evidence makes me a hard person to fool.

Con: I need more than just an "exception to the rule" to change my mind, and that sometimes makes me seem rigid.

This is an interesting question. It made me think about what made me stay in the witnesses even after I had doubts.

• tec
    tec

Evidence shapes our world view. Most conclusions and views are based upon something. That something is evidence, even if that evidence is faulty.

There are different kinds of evidence though. Some evidence is stronger than others; and what one considers to be strong or weak can be fairly subjective.

If you had to make a decision on a fact being true, what would be the deciding factor for you... Your feelings and faith, scriptural statement or evidence presented by modern science?

(semantics moment - if it is in fact, a fact... then it is true)

If I had to make a decision on some evidence being true... okay well here is my template, I guess:

a - Christ (faith)... if He gives me understanding.

b - Science (which can be wrong, and IS incomplete)

Truth... whether it be proven by science or corroborated by Christ... is not in conflict. Faith and science are not in conflict. Only our understandings of one or both puts these two in conflict.

Sometimes science can help me understand something about my faith... sometimes my faith can help me understand something in science. All depends. It is not a one size fits all answer.

c - feelings/scripture need to be backed by something (like one of the above two, or both of the above two)

Does that answer, or did I complicate that too much?

Peace,

tammy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I find my criteria for evidence becomes stricter as the question gets bigger and more important. I may not second check if I ask someone the time. I can accept what they say if they have proven reliable in the past.

However when it is the bigger things, I ask myself some questions. What collaberates this? Is it an emotional, subjective, a con, then I need more evidence. Something I can test. Then I consider what the opposite views might be, and other possible approaches. I consider them seriously, I don't just give lip service to them. I check my sources and look for the agenda driving them. Agenda isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's important to understand it. I read. I think. I consider other opinions.

It's a process. It's not easy, and I have to set bias aside as much as possible so that I can truly receive the information. I am always very wary of what people simply say, because I've had people in my life that will say the exact opposite of what the evidence shows. I'm dealing with that right now with my brother. He has a girlfriend, and she first would come and stay weekends. Then she started staying weekdays, and even though I don't see her much (she stays upstairs) she is there EVERY SINGLE DAY! And night. So it's been going on a couple of weeks, and my brother insists she has not moved in. Evidence shows otherwise, and I am now in the process of taking action. For him, unless she moves in furniture, she is not living here. For me, if she is here every f**king day, she is living here. They are trying to fool me, and it's not going to work.

So testimony is waaaaayyyyyy down on my list of good evidence.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Thank you tec, your semantics are right, but I figured people knew what I meant x

i appreciate your comments. I think this may be an important issue and perhaps a key to the debates on world view.

Snare x

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Lol NC...... Men and Women and the issue of the toothbrush, now thats a whole thread on its own lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit