If There was a Cosmic Pain meter...

by cofty 106 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

God is just waiting.. cuz he knows that we would become so intelligent that would create peace and would come up with medicine and solve a lot of problems... so he wanted to give us a chance to prove ourselves...

Its just so obvious!

• talesin
    talesin

lol CJ! :P

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

Sometimes I struggle with thoughts like this, as a believer. But the one thing I kind of come back to is that, apart from physical problems and natural disasters, pretty much everything people go through COULD be fixed by other people. We could feed all the hungry, provide for all of the orphans, do what we can to stop evil people when we see them, (obviously not all the time there) and be there for people who are in need of someone. If we don't do all these things ourselves when it's well within our power, why should we expect God to do it?

Sort of OT, but even if you don't believe in God, the fact still stands that if we actually cared about our fellow man, we could wipe out most of the suffering out there. We just don't do it.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

ilikecheese....... we are trying.... too many factors involved... funny thing is that in many cases many of the belivers dont do anything because they are waiting for God to take care of things.... like the JWs who dont give money to charity nor help in the community cuz God will take care of things...

anyway

• ilikecheese
    ilikecheese

CJ, that is unfortunately very true. Or they only support charities that preach, rather than actually provide for temporal needs. Those types should definitely reexamine that!

• cofty
    cofty

apart from physical problems and natural disasters, pretty much everything people go through COULD be fixed by other people. - cheese

That's a big "apart from". You can't blithely sweep the millions who die from natural disasters under your theological carpet.

As for your defense that we could do more to relieve suffering you are not seeing the big picture. As I mentioned above, humans have been suffering for over 200 000 years dying from the most trivial of ailments. In all that time there was little or nothing they could do to help other Homo sapiens in other areas who were starving to death for example.

For 200 000 years your god watched passively and did nothing. Now in the last 50 years because we have built modern communications we are able to send billions of aid all over the world every year.

Now christians can claim we are not doing enough and somehow that lets your god off the hook. I don't think so.

• SkyGreen
    SkyGreen

it has always bothered me "if god exists/cares, why cause/allow suffering?"

until recently the bible teach book illustration of the teacher and student to explain the "universal issue" was enough for me. But now, not so much. That illustration just simplifies something that is infinitely complicated! What an insult to anyone who is suffering. How can "Jehovah' just sit there and let it all happen, "for his name"

Id rather be an athiest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit