What did you refuse to do in school?

by Moxy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hi Moxy

I wasn't allowed to go to school camps either...and my mother wasn't all that strict...some other strict parent set the precedent and we all had to follow or we would be regarded as 'weak'[>:(]

I wasn't allowed to go to religious instructions..obviously...or salute the flag...sing xmas carols or happy birthday in class...I wasn't allowed to go to school discos either. Whenever we had to present something to the class like show and tell, my mother used to make us use an Awake article or something along those lines....it was so humiliating...but I did it to gain her favour.

The things we did.

Beck

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

My parents couldn't make me go on those camping trips!
    My mom thought I was too shy and needed a push. Maybe so.
    I new if I went I would be STUCK in the middle of nowhere with 40 kids asking me bible questions and why don't i celebrate xmas.
    NO THANKS.

"I look to the sea, reflections in the waves spark my memory
    Some happy,some sad"
    styx

This one most definitely Happy
  • Yadirf
    Yadirf

Plmkrzy

I new if I went I would be STUCK in the middle of nowhere with 40 kids asking me bible questions and why don't i celebrate xmas.
    NO THANKS.
    Of course I knew nothing of Jehovah's Witnesses when going to school. As a matter of fact I was 25 years old by the time I was approached by the one that studied with me.

With regards to you preferring not to be faced with having to answer "why don't you celebrate xmas", I'm a little curious as to what your main reason was. Was it because you were ill prepared, didn't know to begin with, too shy as a kid, or what?

Probably even if a JW child had a PERFECT understanding, and was FULLY capable of explaining the reason for not celebrating, it wouldn't make much difference to the person's classmates. You're STILL going to be the oddball since THEY aren't likely to care what you think, say, or can explain so very well -- BECAUSE of the overwhelming desire they have to indulge in the fun that the world all around them is completely submerged in.

Penny for your thoughts.

Yadirf

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• chezza
    chezza

what i hated the most was having to stand in front of the school office everytime they did the saluting of the flag and everyone made sure to make fun of me, no school camps, no after school friends, no life basically, oh yeah my mum took me out of health eduction coz they were discussing sex, that was sooooooooooo embarrassing

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

chezza

having to stand in front of the school office every time they did the saluting of the flag

my mum took me out of health education coz they were discussing sex, that was sooooooooooo embarrassing

I've heard others on the DB share similar experiences as yours. I feel really bad for you that is too much garbaaage to put little kids through.
    I must have grown up in a community a little more relaxed then that because I never had to experience that. I attended class with the rest of the kids during flag salute and stood up with the kids but I didn't put my hand over my heart a pledge my allegiance. Kids would pay more attention to me then they would the flag. That was embarrassing mostly during the first few weeks of each school year. Then they got tired of it or use to it and didn't pay any attention to anymore.
    I never got out of sex Ed either. I hated that with a passion!!! Having to sit in the cafeteria and watch all these movies about what it will be like when we get our periods. The boys would all be giggling and pointing at the girls and saying things like EWWWWW!
    Then there was another h.o.u.r of watching this little sperm on its journey to become a baby. GEEEZZ!
    For those of you who didn't get to go to those...Be glad! IT SUCKED!

Yadirf

[[Was it because you were ill prepared, didn't know to begin with, too shy as a kid, or what?]]
    With as much bible study as I attended compared to the average kid in school the last thing I felt was ill prepared. Evey night at bed time from the time I can remember prior to kindergarten I read two pages in the bible with my mom. I went out in service and pioneered with my mom. She pioneered for many years and didn't always have a baby sitter so I went along. Then there were service meetings at our house all the time. Elder's would meet at our house for their little meetings and go over their out-lines for talks and I baked cookies and made hot chocolate for them. I quit when I was old enough to take off and do other things. Being a JW was my whole life from birth. I even knew ahead of time before I was old enough to begin dating whom I was going to have to marry. An Elders son. All picked out and waiting for me to become of age.
    Yadirf...I hated knowing more then the other kids. The way I saw it back then, that was the ONLY reason why another kid would talk to me. Like the butt of everyone’s jokes. 'Ask her a bible question, and who wants to bet she knows the answer.’ giggle giggle chuckle chuckle. There curiosity was not genuine for most. It was a JOKE. The questions "Why don't you celebrate Xmas" was Sarcasms. No body cared that I didn't celebrate it they only wanted to try and humiliate me in front of newer kids because that's what they learned from their parent's. I didn't realize that then I was a kid. All I knew was a lot of kids had more fun trying to make me feel bad about myself then trying to make friends. By the time I was in JR. High I was sick and tired of it.
    Is that a pennies worth?[8>]

"I look to the sea, reflections in the waves spark my memory
    Some happy,some sad"
    styx

This one most definitely Happy
  • Prisca
    Prisca

Didn't salute the flag or sing any national or patriotic songs

No singing of Christmas or any other songs that had to do with some "worldly" holiday

No partipation in making things related to Easter, Christmas, or national holidays

Wasn't allowed to attend Anzac Day ceremony (because it honored wars)

Had to leave the class when Scripture was being taught (usually went to the Library so I didn't mind too much)

Was not allowed to go to friends' birthday parties or even make them a card

I was allowed to go to overnight school excursions, but only pleading and begging and promising that I would "behave"

Although I didn't give Christmas presents I was allowed to give my teacher an "End-of-Year" present

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Up until 3rd grade, my mother would take me in early to explain to the teacher that I wouldn't be saluting the flag or participating in birthday celebrations, or anything that remotely resembled a holiday.
    In third grade, she decided that I was old enough to explain it to my teacher myself. (I had already given talks at the hall) I remember standing at my desk shaking and crying because I had no idea what to say to the teacher. She noticed, and took me out in the hall where I tried to explain. She was kind, but from that moment on I knew there would be many more days like that. When someone brought in cake for a party, I had to go to an empty classroom and color. The kids treated me well though, for some reason.
    In the sixth grade, we moved to an affluent suburb. What a nightmare. I went home crying every single day. I was a total outcast, and threatened often. That year I became an introvert.
    Everything about me was ridiculed daily. I remember thinking that I was being persecuted for Jehovah.
    It got better eventually. But that year left its mark on me, even till now. School was not a pleasant experience. Until College.
    I went for 1 year. I loved it! My dad, though a very prominent elder, was very pro-education. Funny though, I was ostricised in the congregation, not in college that year.

cb

• Mutz
    Mutz

I wasn't a witness in school so I was able to do more or less what I liked inclunding ripping the piss out of the Witness kids :)

• QUEENIE
    QUEENIE

in high school in the 60s it was NO to all except S E X...HAPPY EASTER / PEACE

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

In High School there was a girl named Lisa. She wanted me BAD. By the end of Senior year, it was becoming obvious even to me that she had chosen me to make her a woman.

I refused to do her.

Hmmm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit