What did you refuse to do in school?

by Moxy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Moxy
    Moxy

in high school, one friend of mine was offended by Flowers for Algernon because of the sex bits and refused to take it as part of the English curriculum. he even gave an experience about it at a CA. so those of us in the other english classes that year kinda had to refuse to do it too. i so was embarrased tho. i thought it was an excellent book. our classmates mustve thought we were so prudish.

in junior high (grade 7) my parents forced me to 'refuse' to go on a school camping outing. i was basically told it would be a haven for smoking, sex and drugs. lol. i tried to talk my way into getting to go, even promising to bring magazines to witness to my friends during the trip. no go.

mox

$2.50 for a highball and a buck-and-a-half for a beer

• treeny
    treeny

Hi Moxy...oohhh the shame of having to be different. Most of my embarrassing moments were in Junior high school. I was asked to go to a hobo party..it was supposed to be at this guys barn ..big bon fire..games food etc. There were even going to be teachers there. I had to tell them I was one of Jehovah's witness's and that I had to go to a meeting that night. I was so not with the crowd..that when a guy asked if I would go with him..my response was,"Where?" Wow! was I embarrassed when he said I mean go steady. It got worse when I had to tell him my beliefs on dating...Gosh there's so many...:) Take care,
    terry

• TR
    TR

I refused to do oral reports, that is, until I became a 'hovah.

TR

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

LOL Moxy. I grew up up a Jehovah-Kid too, and I identify with that 7th grade overnight field trip (Thursday and Friday). I forget where it was. But it was about 2 hours away. I had a JW friend in that grade. Here's what our parents decided. We would go with the group on Thursday morning, and then Thursday night my friend's dad would come pick us up, and then my dad would bring us back Friday morning.

Everyone thought that us Jehovah-Kids were really weird. Even though we weren't -- and our parents really weren't either. But JW parents can get a lot of pressure to be a good example and that's why I think we had to look good.

Aside from the usual non-participatory events such as holidays, I felt that I was supposed to object to this, but didn't. I happened to be relatively popular (for a Jehovah-Kid), and smart, so in 8th grade I was chosen in my Social Studies class to be the Republican presidential candidate in our class mock election. I felt terrible about doing it and did not do a quality job in campaigning (I lost to an ultra-liberal 65/35, and this was in the mid-eighties!).

Ah yes. When I was in 1st or 2nd grade, we had a school talent assembly, and our class was chosen to play the kazoo for a few songs. Well, one of them was patriotic in nature, so my parents objected and made me sit that one out. Some other kid played my kazoo instead (I still distinctly remember the teacher cleaning it with alcohol).

I would actually get a kick out of flirting with girls, leading them on, and then saying "no thanks" when push came to shove. What a dick I was.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Hey Moxy

God, I hated being so different!! When I was in 10th grade, a senior, a very RICH senior, who drove a very expensive SPORTS car, asked me on several dates...sigh. I would have had an instant 'in' with the popular crowd had I been allowed to date him, but of course, that was out of the question. But I'll never forget ol' George, he did wonders for my ego!

I also had the opportunity to be on the track team but again, it was totally unacceptable to be involved in school sports so I didn't get to pursue that either. But hey! I did get to be on an assembly part b/c I didn't do any of those things...that made up for it, right? Right??!

Dana

• butalbee
    butalbee

I did whatever the hell I wanted to do, just as long as I didn't get caught!

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

buta.
    And you are thinking of joining the dubs!
    Bwa-hahaha.
    Baby you are gonna be in endless trouble in there.
    Anyway.

In school I did exactly what i was told.
    Handed my money over to other kids who threatened me.
    Gave away all my cakes id made in cookery class to try and buy friends.
    Let them hit me in the face and just turned the other cheek.
    Stood shame faced in Physical education class while the teracher humiliated me cause i was fat.
    the whole bit. school was fun.
    I think it had something to do with my feeling of being "seperate" from everyone else.
    When I turned 17 something snapped and I went nuts.Completely the other way.I became a monster.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Mostly, I refused to do homework.

But, as an aspiring JW, I also refused to salute the flag during my senior year. Can't recall too much else I passed on, though...I didn't actually get baptized until after I graduated.

Tom

• butalbee
    butalbee

Refiners--you are absolutely right! I was always the rebel, when I was told to do one thing, I just had to do another. Never listened to reason,(still, the same there), never obeyed the rules. I was the button pusher, to see just how much I could get away with...Damn, those were the days!

• Mulan
    Mulan

Man, your parents were STRICT!! I was raised a dub, and I went to sixth grade conservation camp. It was so much fun, and very wholesome, and in high school, I was a counselor at one of those camps. My family thought it was a growth experience, and they TRUSTED me!! Geez. What a concept. Trust!

I abstained from saluting the flag, and the National anthem, but that's about all. In the 50's and 60's that organization was a whole different ball game than it is now. I ran for class office in 9th grade, and lost. When I was a senior, I was the Historian, for the class, but dropped out to get married. Bummer. Marriage was definitely better. I think the dubs were much more liberal in those days.

Marilyn (aka Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit