I just wanted to kick off this Holiday Week (USA anyway) with.....

by OnTheWayOut 12 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

• freydo
    freydo

It's time to ban Christmas presents

"Giving to children is a joy but does everyone else need a gift too? This Christmas try adopting a brave new approach."

By Martin Lewis

"Is it time to ban Christmas presents? Across the country people are growling at the enforced obligation to waste money on tat they can't afford, for people who won't use it. Festive gift-giving has lost its point, risks doing more harm than good, mis-teaches our children about values and kills the joy of anticipation of what should be a joyous time.

Before you think this is just curmudgeonly bah-humbug, this rant isn't about presents under the spruce from parents or grandparents to children or spouses. It's about the ever-growing creep of gifts to extended family, colleagues, children's teachers and more.

I first braved this subject on my website back in 2009, expecting a snowstorm of protest. Instead, many people joined my call to arms, relieved they were not alone in their distaste for the gifting ritual.

The next year, I polled 10,000 people on whether we should ban presents. Seven per cent said ditch all of them, 30 per cent said to all but children, and a further 46 per cent said limit it to the immediate family. Fewer than one in five supported giving beyond that.

Yet even with years of economic stagnation, each successive Christmas, Eid or Hanukkah, too few brave the peer pressure and shut up the giving shop. With Christmas just five weeks away, there's still time to pull back and agree on NO PRESENTS THIS YEAR......."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfi...

Jennifer Waters's Consumer Confidential Archives | Email alerts

Nov. 19, 2012, 10:24 a.m. EST

Why are retailers ruining Thanksgiving?

Commentary: Customers want Black Friday to start on Thursday

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) — Say goodbye to Thanksgiving — and Black Friday while you’re at it. Retailers are wrecking holiday time for shoppers and shop workers alike.

This year will see an unprecedented move by the big boys of retail to open their stores earlier than ever on Thanksgiving Day, putting pressure on the traditions — from indulging in an oversize dinner to loafing around watching football — that many families hold sacred............

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-are-retailers-ruining-thanksgiving-2012-11-19?link=MW_latest_news

• OnTheWayOut

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit