It isn't my home anymore...

by cedars 55 Replies latest members private

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I empathize, Cedars. I'm in a very similar situation, although I have a further disadvantage (in one way) in that I live near the family.

Perhaps I encourage him by participating in these conversations, albeit reluctantly, but I don't feel I have any choice if I am to have any kind of relationship with him. The organization is his life, so he can't help but talk about it. If I were to cut him off every time he mentioned something JW-related, things would become strained very quickly - even more so than they are already. ...

... My relationship with them will ALWAYS be superficial.

I feel the same way with my father and extended family. We can't be 'whole' with them, you see. We always have to divide parts of ourselves off, being careful of what we disclose so as not to cause upset either for ourselves or for them. Yes, the Org. IS their whole life. They cannot help but be totally engrossed in it, which means we get to hear the same repeated complaints or anecdotes - round and round. How else can they connect to us? Can we, for example, have open/objective discussions with them on matters of politics, science or religion that don't involve JW clichés and 'reasoning'? Difficult, if not impossible. The Org. is what both they and we (whatever we think about it) have in common. Once the 'safe' subjects are exhausted the conversation, naturally, grinds awkwardly to a halt.

• clarity
    clarity

Dear Cedars & Mrs.... so glad that you are back home here!

You make a big difference on a 'world wide' scene.

>

Of course all of us have differing personality types, and should

not put be put down for it ... not by our own 'mouth' or anyone else's words!

>

Life only guarantees continual change ... not suspension,

not a standstill existance. A human condition.

Things will change again ... guaranteed!

>

clarity

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Cedars:

I am so sorry that you are from a JW family and they feel the way they do. You are right in that they will not accept who you are. How awful to be raised in this religion!

What makes me angry reading your story is the old lady in the congregation who had the nerve to blurt out such an intrusive question. This shows the extent of the gossip. This brings back memories I had when I once went to visit my congregation. The old ladies can and will say anything and they feel they have the right to. Again, lack of boundaries in the religion.

It was good of you to tolerate this for your family, but I wonder if you will do it again.

At this point, I have no patience for this nonsense and will not tolerate it. They are not owed an explanation about my life.

• flipper
    flipper

CEDARS and MRS. CEDARS- My condolences to you on the loss of your family's REAL caring and affection. Remember that many of us are going through or have experienced this as well, you are not alone. You are discovering how " conditional " alleged " love " works. The truth is, it doesn't work. If a marketing scheme or a concept has to be in the middle of relationships it actually taints the relationships and makes these ties " fake " , not real or authentic. And THAT is what the WT society desires to accomplish in turning JW family members against other family members who stop attending meetings. To the WT society it's a case of their wanting to " conquer and divide " family's so as to have more power and control over your JW family. WT Society has done this successfully now for 133 years since 1879.

That doesn't mean we as faded EX-JW's can't fight back though. We can, but we have to pick and choose our words VERY carefully like Flying High Now stated. And I think it's important to key in on helping our YOUNGER JW relatives, the upcoming new generation aged youth to their early 30's to develop free thinking minds. I've experienced what you have by my fanatic JW family , however the good news is that 4 out of my 8 nieces & nephews ( including my 3 adult children in that number of 8 , 1 of my 3 adult kids is out of the Witnesses ) has stopped being Jehovah's Witnesses and are no longer attending. Their ages range from 24 to 38.

So keep your chin up my friends ! As people get older they start questioning things. They will see injustices in the WT organization because these injustices hapen, and they might just experience these injustices personally and a light will turn on for them ! It happens. It happened to me and I was a born-in who exited at age 44 over 9 years ago. Just keep a close pulse on the younger members of your family and BE THERE for them if they want to open up to you. I feel THAT is your responsibility and your position you should be alert to take as time goes by. It's worked for me as I'm close to my nieces and nephews who have exited. Hang in there you two, I know it's difficult to see family act like this- but when you turn the coin over there is another positive you have to consider and that is freeing the minds of your younger relatives in time with your influence. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• 00DAD
    00DAD

You can never go home again ...

Cedars: My Dad is still very much in denial over my feelings towards the Watchtower.

Of course, the alternative is too painful for him to contemplate. You're watching Cognitive Dissonance in action. As bad as that is, at least you have some communication, albeit superficial and limited to whatever they want to talk about. Many of us don't even have that.

Cedars: However, for all my work online trying to help total strangers, I'm powerless to do anything for my own flesh and blood.

We don't know what the future will hold. Perhaps your work will reach your family, maybe even indirectly. Maybe one of the strangers you help will influence your family members. Maybe your family members are reading your JWSurvey materials or posting here and don't even know it's you writing it. (Of course what you wrote here would probably out you to them if they read it soon.)

Cedars: My appearance has changed significantly since I stopped attending meetings, and this inevitably drew comments - with one elder telling me to "get my hair cut".

Isn't it absolutely ridiculous! Where the hell does this guy get the idea he can tell another adult how he should cut his hair? The elders are trained to treat the flock as if they are all children.

Cedars: ... it was yet another example of my personal beliefs being the subject of scrutiny, and the overwhelming pressure to conform to people's expectations that was an over-riding theme of my visit.

Interesting how JWs think that everyone else's business is their business. They have no respect for appropriate personal boundaries. Just a bunch of busy-bodies and gossips mistakenly believing their behavior is somehow sanctioned by God.

Cedars: Another example of this came in a brief conversation with my brother-in-law. We were having a brief discussion about another relative of mine. He made the remark that she was doing "really well at the moment" because she is attending meetings again. He must have known that I was no longer attending meetings myself, so how did this comment reflect on me? Was I NOT doing "really well" any more?

Yes, that is the message you were intended to get; it's passive-aggresive manipulation. They learned it from the WT/GB.

Cedars: ... it was seriously troubling to witness the effects first-hand in my own family - but be powerless to do or say anything.

Understood, and yet your example does send a message. You are demonstrating personal power. You never know who may be watching and be encouraged.

Cedars: The end product of it all is that I can no longer think of the place where I grew up as my home. I don't feel truly welcomed by my family because they clearly don't sincerely accept me for who I am - only for who they want me to be (or imagine me to be).

They cannot or will not accept you, at least not now and maybe never. Can you accept them? Can you accept yourself?

These changes are heart-rending, no doubt. I feel your pain. Yet you do have courage: you repeatedly demonstrate that here time and again by sharing your thoughts, feelings and experiences such as these; by exposing WT hypocrisy, cover-ups and lies.

Again, don't give up on your family. You never know. As long as there is life, there is hope. I honestly believe that many JWs still stuck-in feel all alone; they don't know how many of their "fellow believers" are really Fellow Doubters, perhaps even sitting next to them at the meetings. The WT deliberately isolates us psychologically. How many JWN lurkers come here and are AMAZED to find hundreds, thousands even, of current and ex-JWs that feel exactly the same way they feel. It's a powerful thing. It's a beautiful thing. Your work here and on your website is part of that.

But most of all don't give up on yourself and the beautiful new life you are making for your self and your wife.

Maybe someday soon you'll be able to shed the Cedars moniker and be live your life openly.

00DAD

- - - - - - - - -

You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you. - Heraclitus of Ephesus (c.535 BC - 475 BC)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Back in December of 1999, I had not been to the Kingdom Hall in years. My sister nagged me to go to a meeting because she was worried about Y2K. I was still mentally kind of fooled though. Being at that meeting felt so bizarre and otherworldly though, that I knew then and there I could never be an active JW again. I knew I would never feel comfortable around JW's again. And I have never been back to a meeting. I can't imagine what being out mentally and then going to a meeting would feel like. I just wish with all my heart I had handled my sister differently. I wish I would have been much more careful with her and my brother in law in what I said. I did help my nephew Chris out of the org and he helped his wife get out. That took to the cruel shunning of his oldest brother and his death, to wake Chris up, though. My sister and her husband are too old and mentally damaged by the cult for David's death to have that kind of effect on them.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

It is exhausting to have those conversations. You know the ones. The ones that onyl flow on one direction. The ones where someone dismisses your viewpoint in favor of their own without even neccesarily realizing that is what they are doing.

Sorry Cedars. You already know you aren't alone sir.

• cedars
    cedars

Wow, there's so much good stuff on this thread. Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm glad I've been so open now because I don't think I would have received such great feedback otherwise.

Particularly I'm connecting with your cautionary words, FlyingHighNow. It's coming across loud and clear that you regret the forthright way in which you dealt with your family. On the one hand, it isn't in my nature to pursue the "softly softly" approach (as many on this forum will know!), and I would much rather confront my family (or BE confronted so as to have an excuse to voice my opinions)... but I know it simply doesn't work that way. It's out of my hands. Unless they press me for my viewpoint, I can't say anything - and I won't.

You also said...

I can't imagine what being out mentally and then going to a meeting would feel like.

Trust me, it's surreal and creepy! You do feel a faint pull towards cognitive dissonance - an infinitesimal urge to just reject everything you've found out and go with the flow. I can understand why some just "choose" to forget everything and go back.

All things considered, I did derive some observational benefits from going. I noticed that the formal dresscode is actually just a clever way to elevate self-esteem and make everyone feel as though they are collectively doing something worthwhile. I also noticed that the actual and distinctive roots of the faith, namely the Governing Body and (specifically) the selection by Christ in 1919 were never mentioned. The source of the information was always vaguely attributed to God or the bible itself, giving everything more of an appearance of credibility. I can see how an uninformed attendee might think "wow, these people are only interested in what the bible has to say!" From that point of view, it was quite a fascinating experience, but I don't think I'll be repeating it any time soon.

Cedars

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Cedars: Sorry to hear about this. What you've explained sounds very typical in these circumstances. You deserve better. We all do.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

Cedars - I've been through the same experience. I spent a lot of time with my family during the final few months of my mom's illness, and her funeral was exactly like attending a meeting (in my old hall, too). I just kept being reminded how little I have in common with them anymore. They really do live in this insular, dark "village". My daughters and I used to be part of all the family events, we were very close. So it was painful to lose all that. Spending close time with them all again helped, however, because it reinforced that I don't belong and don't want to ever belong again.

You have worked hard to help others, but don't discount how much your work has helped you, too. It keeps reinforcing that you are doing the right thing and it gives you strength to keep building a new life.

Regarding taking a "soft" approach, I pretty much make no attempts to influence my family. It wouldn't work and would simply alienate them, I think. I simply live my life the best I can and try to show them that my duaghters and I are good, moral persons who have found happiness and a good life outside of the cult. I'm sure your family got that message from you, as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit