For NeverKnew: How to Crash a meeting

by perfect1 21 Replies latest jw friends

• perfect1
    perfect1

Race really doesnt matter- the halls are all more or less alike.

DONT call it CHURCH. They hate that. I mean, go ahead.

Get away vehicle: Just make sure it can speed you away.

• tiki
    tiki

about the dress - especially with females it does vary from area to area. in the usa city areas the standard is far higher than in the boonies. some places on the eastern seaboard it was amazing the difference between the average garb in city areas and rural areas. it did seem to be pretty much universal though that at bigger assemblies/conventions especially the teenage girls were typically inappropriately dressed - wearing wannabe cocktail type dresses or evening wear - in an effort of course to get male attention.

i for one always found it completely ridiculous to dress toddlers and elementary school kids (boys) in mini-suits, tie and white shirt and all. their ordinary school clothes would make far more sense....ditto for the girl children...why the need for a dress is beyond me. fine for occasions, but sitting in a stadium or sports arena???? seriously?!?

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

I never wore my best clothes to a convention. Did you ever clean a stadium in preparation for an assembly? Yuck! And you have your congregation's cleaning assignment after the sessions, although I'm sure the fashionistas don't participate in that menial work.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hubby and I have attended Kingdom Halls from all over. I am pretty incommunicado as I already have a selection of conservative church garb to choose from, and of course I have my eager-beaver hubby at my side in his suit and briefcase.

We are typically approached (likely a Pioneer looking to count time) and asked a question or two to gauge our "spiritual status". Saying you are from out of town is a good cover.

It helps if you are carrying a bookbag of some sort. Have a blank notebook and pencil (staves off boredom and looks "normal").

It is hard to nail down HOW the Witness women look different than the regular population. No slacks. Nylons. Below-the-knee skirts are getting harder and harder for the younger girls to find on the regular racks. The older ladies in their polyester chanel knock-offs.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Okay. I'm not borrowing a car for this. I'll take mine. Not exactly "modest"... but oh well....

Black dress/black heels... always works. I only have higher heels. I'm only 5'2" tall so they won't notice the height of the heel.

It would be completely natural for me to not know what to call their "church." *ahem* And I'm sure I will enjoy their "worship service."

Um... notebook? Bookbag? That would be VERY unnatural for me. Maybe I can put a small notepad in my purse for notes, but I don't want to look like I'm putting them under investigation... are you telling me that others will be carrying these items? I hope not. A lot of churches have Bibles in the pews so I leave mine at home. Are there Bibles and songbooks in the pews? ... guess the songbook won't matter since I won't really know the tunes.

I'm probably going to look like a goof.

• perfect1
    perfect1

There are dreadfully uncomfortable chairs, not pews and remember, this is first and foremost a publishing companies- dont expect bibles offered to people- everyone has their personal copy which they have donated good money for. If you ask, there will be an extra copy for yout to borrow, but you must ask.

Others will carry book bags, but dont sweat it.

Ditto on the out of town story, that would work.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

I'm actually going out of town this weekend - 7 hours away. Don't know if I want to spend my vacation in a KH. :(

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Yeah, don't waste good vacation time on it!

Bring your own bible, they may or may not try to give you their New World translation. If you get there early enough just pretending to be a curious visitor, they will probably give you a song book, at least to borrow.

Will be curious to hear if you are love bombed! Its really weird, some congregations are just over the top, others ignore you like a leper if you aren't with someone they already know.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Advice noted LG.

I will let you know my perception. Should be interesting. :)

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

Prepare to be bored....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit