For NeverKnew: How to Crash a meeting

by perfect1 21 Replies latest jw friends

• perfect1
    perfect1

In the chilling experience thread Never Knew asks a few questions about attending a meeting.

I thought I would dedicate a thread to answering this question- because my knowledge is a little outdated, please join in!

1. You will be scrutinized for your appearance. As a woman you are expected to wear a below knee length skirt or dress. Anything expensive or brand name will be noticed. Drabber is better.

2. What is your back story in case someone tries to talk to you- are you curious, interested. Do not disclose any personal information or the names of your JW friends.

3. To avoid #2 come late and leave early. You might want to ask someone if you can borrow a Bible and the days study materials.

4. You can sit anywhere you like, there are no assigned seats, but probably in the back is best.

5. Sunday is the public talk. You can call ahead to find out what time it is and make sure you are attending a meeting in English.

6. Be wary of becoming hypnotized by the monotony, but avoid looking too alert to better fit in as you observed the resigned slump set into all attendees.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

That's about it, Perfect, but I'd want to qualify item 1 just a bit.

In the local hall here, drab isn't really exactly the look the women are aiming for, not all of them anyway.

Below the knee skirt, yes. And some cultivate. The carefully managed frump look. But some, especially elders' wives and families, seem to pride themselves in smartness, makeup, new. Clothes and styles...all very modest, of course, but many and not just the younger ones will weat higher heels than most people in this coastal, not very well off area.

The contrast with the local churches is considerable. In the Anglican and Methodist churches, people will be moderately respectable rather than smart, and no attempt at fashion or glamour ( as opposed to some elderettes...below the knees glamour, that is. In the Catholic Church, people are much more likely likely to turn up in jeans and trainers than a smart frock.

I was astounded at how JW's are all about show. They are like the cup mentioned in the Bible...can't remember where....I was never a proper JW!..oops sorry, folks!....that cup that is clean on the outside but dirty inside. On my first meeting I expressed surprise about this (I put it politely). Well, we're showing respect for Jehovah " they said.

"But God cares what's on the INside!" I said. "He doesn't care what we look like!" That just proved to them how dreadfully ignorant Catholics w ere, in their eyes.

Ridiculous!

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

unless you go to a convention - they are like a fashion parade.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

First time I went to a convention I thought it was just like a wedding, everyone dressed completely over the top.

Little boys in grown up suits, little girls in frills and flounces. Crazy. All for show, but they thought they were spiritual.

And the money pouring into the boxes.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

last time i saw one i was in manchester doing something else! the high heels and the perfume and lots of flesh on show..

like a big mating ritual

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

So which one are you guys upset about. JW's dressing drab and frumpy, or too fancy and smart. I can't figure out which one you think is wrong.

• creativhoney
    creativhoney

Im not upset about either, although i feel sorry that the only place someone can wear their glad rags is a god convention.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I'm not upset about either. I just don't think it has anything to do with God, and I thought that first day and think now that they are just a lot of hypocrites.

• Left in the Cold
    Left in the Cold

From the prospective of a woman, when I enter a kh I feel like a second class citizen. Behind the brothers, I mean. I dress somewhat provocatively (to the best of my ability by JW standards) because I know that's really all I have there. Looks. And if I can't be as important as the men, then I'm going to use the only thing(s) I have that they don't. Immature? Probably. But it helps me hold my head up a little higher when I'm there.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

I am sooo curious.

Okay tell ya' what. You guys want to do this together?

If so, let's start with these two decisions:

Hall Selection

Thinking I could say I was visiting in the area and wanted to attend "church" and realized I had never attended their type of "church." Uh-oh... Does my race play a role in my selection? Should I stay within my racial confines?

Transportation

Hmm.... modest. Would anyone care about what I'm driving?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit