If you have had the CO or DO over for a meal...

by A question 26 Replies latest jw friends

• everchangingworld
    everchangingworld

When I was in my early twenties, bright eyed pioneer with the end just around the corner, my mouth watered when the CO and wife came around. It was such a "privilege" to have these self sacrificing spiritual giants in my home for a few hours. (eye roll).

In later years, I saw that they were just people. Some COs seemed like normal people with normal interests, suffering through this insane life, while others could only talk about International conventions and annual meetings. One CO wife and I watched movies and went for manicures the week they stayed with us. I even think the movie was R rated in the USA, and they wanted to lend us a few pirated copies of other movies they liked.

I actually had my final wake up during my last CO visit. They were staying with us for the week.

• RoosterMcDooster
    RoosterMcDooster

I had one CO call me up because he was upset that no one would take him out or have them over.

He called our cong "stingy" and complained that he and his wife were stuck over at the CO apt eating "stinky" hamburgers.

• tiki
    tiki

I have a lot of experience with this as a kid growing up....and as an adult i had one DO and his wife - and i loved them dearly and still do...although he's gone, don't know if she is alive or not. most experiences were fun - but as a kid, you had a sense of superiority like you were sacrificing your bed to celebrities. but i must say that the ones that did stay with us were very nice and decent. i know of many many that were demanding and ridiculous - but thankfully by that time there was an apt in the hall for them and it was just a matter of catering to their ridiculous meal requirements - they all developed allergies....must be an unhealthful lifestyle.

someone mentioned the plumhoff's....they must be dead - when they lived at natick they were quite old....and that was when they first built that place which had to be in the early 70's......

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

When I was a kid the CO and DO were often at our house because my dad repaired their cars...at that time the WTS did not provide a car or even pay for the repairs of the servants's cars...in most cases they drove old junkers and my dad ended up working for free and often paying for the parts out of his pocket. At that time my dad had to work two Saturdays a month to make ends meet and some of that money was used to fix the CO's car! In the meantime they hung around and ate with us for free...Of course during their congregation visits we would have them over again. A few years back when I was reaching out to be reappointed as a MS I offered to have the DO stay at our house. I knew him and his wife from my home town and while I was at work he used my home office to do his official business. His wife was a riot and my wife had a great time watching animated movies in our home theatre. During meals we spoke about the people we knew and some of the travel we did. I can't recall any time where we spoke about the WT teachings or even discuss Bible topics...

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Tiki - you mentioned the Plumhoff's, I remember in the early 60's we had a CO named Plumhoff who served my Cong in Queens NY, can't remember his first name but could be the same guy. To me, back when they were with us, to my mind, being just a kid they looked like they were already senior citizens back then

• A question
    A question

BTTT

• TOTH
    TOTH

We hosted a couple of them then quit offering. Pretentious and demanding CO' AND their wives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit