Badass Female Bible Characters

by Kudra 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Kudra
    Kudra

I sorta like "Babylon the Great"

I mean really, she is the embodiment of thousands of years of culture, literature and belief. How badass is that!

Plus she's also a harlot so that's sorta sexy.

AND she's a readhead ;-)

• cofty
    cofty

Hagar was the slave of Abraham and Sarah.

Abraham had a promise about being a great nation although Sarah was past child-bearing age.

He decided to solve problem by forcing himself on young Hagar and adopting the resulting child Ishmael as his own.

When Sarah later gave birth to Isaac the two boys did not get along. Sarah's solution was to send Hagar and Ishmael away to fend for themselves. Abraham went along with his wife's shameful request.

In the context of Iron Age Canaan it was by no means certain that Hagar and her young would not die of thirst or starvation.

Geddes beautifully captures Hagar's despair.

Hagar was a survivor.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Deborah, a Judge of Isreal.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Ah, so Deborah was a prophetess AND a judge?

(I am looking up all of these characters I am unfamiliar with...)

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Rahab the harlot who sold out her city, her neighbors, by hiding enemy spies,and misleading men who were protecting the city, to save her and her close family.

True Theocratic Strategy, side with Jehovah to save your life.

• tiki
    tiki

the witch of endor......... rahab.....the prostitute who saved the day.... bathsheba...the victim....not a badass, but manipulated by one for sure.......

• Kudra
    Kudra

Thanks, cofty.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The wealthy Shunammite woman who took Elisha to task.

Raised Up

• jgnat
    jgnat

Abigail negotiates peace for her household in front of an enraged David. Her nasty-ass husband dies of apoplexy.

• Kudra
    Kudra

jgnat, what do you mean by "took Elisha to task"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit