Badass Female Bible Characters

by Kudra 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Kudra
    Kudra

Hi, this thread is inspired by the "bible characters trading cards" thread...

Can we come up with a great list of female Bible characters that were strong, decisive and inspiring?

Scully mentioned Ja'el: drugging and driving a tent spike through the head (we all remember the awesome Bible Stories illustration) of the enemy general.

List yours along with a description of why they were so badass!

• Kudra
    Kudra

Salome... Delilah... Eve...

Cast in such a terrble light by the JWs. Seems like all the interesting women in the Bible were murderous temptresses!

• Kudra
    Kudra

Dinah: a survivor of a shit attempt to "blame the victim".

I don't know how the story is presented in mainstream Christian circles, but among the JWs this story was a cautionary tale to young girls that if they went off to have fun at parties they would get raped. And they'd only have themselves to blame.

Seems like in the biblical version her brothers went to exact revenge on the men who raped her. So I assume they didn't blame Dinah?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Deborah.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Mary Magdalene:

Jesus' comrade and companion. Would have to be intelligent and compassionate and trustworthy to have such a friendship (yeah I know it is all fairytales but). Said to be loved by Jesus more than the other disciples.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Phizzy -what did Deborah do? (I am super fuzzy on all these characters...)

• cofty
    cofty

Hagar - Perhaps the most neglected innocent victim of the OT.

This painting by Andrew Geddes moved me to tears when I first saw it in the National Gallery in Edinburgh

• Kudra
    Kudra

Can you describe Hagar's story? And why you think she is important?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I vote for Jezebel - she scared the elite of the time 'sh*tless.'

• Kudra
    Kudra

Ah -so Hagar gave birth to Abraham's first sone and then was kicked out as a result of Sarah's jealousy?

And her son is the "father" of Islam? (don't know if my paraphrasing of biblical history is correct...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit