No Poppies in America on Remembrance Day

by caliber 27 Replies latest jw friends

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Most American poppies come from Afghanistan or southeast Asia, and the authorities will confiscate them and jail you for having them.

That is American style freedom.

• talesin
    talesin

You can't grow poppies in the USA?

BA HAHAHAHA!!! that is even dumber than the laws against hemp.

• blondie
    blondie

????????????????????????????????????????????

Of course you can grow poppies in the US. I see them in gardens around here everywhere.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Reminds me of the killer bunny in monty python. Harmless looking little thing, innit? THE KILLER POPPIE!!!!

S

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Flanders Field always moved me. I recall some poppies on Veterans' Day when I was young. Soldiers from WWI on marched.

Now it is a big retail sale day. Very sad.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.ehow.com/info_7928229_difference-oriental-poppies-opium-poppies.html

Don't confuse the Oriental Poppy with the Opium Poppy

The Difference Between Oriental Poppies & Opium Poppies

X Jacob J. Wright

Jacob J. Wright became a full-time writer in 2008, with articles appearing on various websites. He has worked professionally at gardens in Colorado, Florida, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina and Pennsylvania. Wright holds a graduate diploma in environmental horticulture from the University of Melbourne, Australia, and a Master of Science in public horticulture from the University of Delaware.

By Jacob J. Wright , eHow Contributor The Difference Between Oriental Poppies & Opium Poppies thumbnail Frilly petaled flowers of an Oriental poppy.

Worldwide, there are over 50 species of poppies (Papaver spp.), all producing showy, ornamental flowers worthy of a garden. Two species of poppies are of note in the United States: Oriental poppy (Papaver orientale) and the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum). Oriental poppies are among the most widely grown flowering perennials but opium poppies are illegal to grow unless you have a permit ensuring their cultivation is not for production of narcotics. Does this Spark an idea?

Other People Are Reading

1. Origins

• The name Oriental poppy is misleading as this species is native to southwestern Asia, not the Far East. Allan Armitage, notable American perennial expert from the University of Georgia, states that modern Oriental poppy varieties are likely the result of hybridization with the Iranian poppy over the years. According to Armitage, the opium poppy was cultivated for centuries before the days of Christ. It's been so widely grown that its precise origin is obscure, but botanists believe western Asia and southeastern Europe comprised the native habitat range.

Features

• Oriental poppy leaves look bristly and deeply cut with pointy lobes. Oriental poppy leaves look bristly and deeply cut with pointy lobes.

Both growing over 18 inches tall, the two poppies look much different when viewed intimately. Oriental poppy leaves are brighter green with deeply cut lobes that almost look feathery. The leaves do not clasp the plant stem. By contrast, leaves of opium poppy are irregularly teethed and gray-green and have a broad leaf base that clasps the stem. Opium poppies tend to flower in late spring, while Oriental poppies bloom a bit later in early summer.

• Sponsored Links

Plant Longevity

• Oriental poppies are herbaceous perennial plants that go seasonally dormant by mid- to late summer. They are best grown in regions with definitely cold winters, as in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 2 through 7. Opium poppies grow as annuals, completing their entire life cycle within one calendar year. In USDA Zones 6 and 7, the plant self-sows and naturalizes as short-lived, wildflowers according to Armitage. Rarely will an opium poppy plant overwinter in mild winter regions to bloom again next spring. Opium poppy flowers drop their petals faster after blooming than those of Oriental poppy.

Uses

• Poppy seeds are used for baking and culinary seasoning. Poppy seeds are used for baking and culinary seasoning.

Oriental poppies may be grown as ornamental garden flowers for spring displays but opium poppies are illegal to possess on your property within the United States. The concern with the latter is that the dried milky latex from the flowers will be used to make heroin. Opium poppy seeds are safe to use in baking or for seasoning.

Read more: The Difference Between Oriental Poppies & Opium Poppies | eHow.comhttp://www.ehow.com/info_7928229_difference-oriental-poppies-opium-poppies.html#ixzz2CAbpm3rK
  • talesin
    talesin

Thanks, Blondie! I thought from what people were posting, they were OUTLAWED... even opium poppies, I mean really,,,, just go to your friendly General Practitioner and get some narcs.

:D

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

The U.S. is not a part of the commonwealth or under the crown. We fought a war and killed a lot of Englishmen to make that fact happen. It would be very bizarre for us to honor the dead of the commonwealth when we killed a few in order not to be a part of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit