by caliber 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Satanus
  • Satanus
    Satanus

Poppies at argenteil by monet

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I buy one every year..

It`s worn on the left side of your coat..

Above your Heart..

..............................  mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• carla
    carla

I buy one when I see the vets, I also buy the blue violet (?) for the disabled vets when opportunity arises.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

That's exactly what we do, Outlaw, wear it on the left, above the heart.

The money raised from the sale of the poppies every year goes towards help for war widows and war wounded, and Remembrance Day is a very very powerfully moving occasion.

My father was in the trenches in the First World War. He was in the terrible battle at Passchendaele. He told me that he had joined up at the beginning of the war with all his friends, but he was the only one that came back. On Remembrance Sunday, today, I think of and remember and pray for those friends of his, among whom I know only one name.

Caliber, I love that poem, Flanders Fields. It chokes me up every time. I posted it somewhere on here a few days ago.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

I'm proud to wear a poppy - something I wasn't allowed to do all of my life, of course. When I was a kid we learned Flanders Fields at school - we all had to memorize it. It affects me profoundly every time I read it. Last year my grandkids also learned to sing "Last night I had the strangest dream" and the school sang it for Memorial day. Brought tears to my eyes.

• blondie
    blondie

The wearing of poppies in honor America's war dead is traditionally done on Memorial Day (observed May 27, 2013 next year), not Veterans Day. Netherlands celebrates it on May 4.

• caliber
    caliber

Memorial Day (observed May 27, 2013 next) ... (This just happens to be my anniversary date)

thanks for sharing Blondie

posted this earlier......

technically, the USA has two holidays for veterans -- one in May (Memorial day), commemorating "the ultimate sacrifice," and one in November to commemorate all of them (Veterans day )

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

Went to a war photography opening day exhibit in Houston yesterday. Was given one to wear when getting ticket.

Wasn't sure why it was given at the time, but wore it anyway.

FYI- It is a traveling exhibit. Well worth seeing, took me almost 3 hours to go through.

• blondie
    blondie

Poppies are only handed out on Memorial Day though. (actually offered for a small fee by the VFW)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit