A milestone for my Grandson, David

by coffee_black 19 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

David turned 18 yesterday. (he is the one who walked from Orlando, Fl to Washington, DC a little over 3 years ago on behalf of homeless children) I wrote about that on the forum back then. What I didn't write about is that David has grown up without a father....not because he doesn't exist, but because his father has chosen to live his life of drugs and violence. He has been in and out of jail and prison. The family has lived in fear of him and what he is capable of. He has never been a "father". He has hardly ever paid child support at all, (maybe a total of $500. in all these years, and back when he was allowed visitation, he would bring the then 6 and 11 year old kids to strip bars. His last prison bout was for stalking and violent attack on a girlfriend. He was released from prison 2 days before David's Birthday.

Immediately upon release from prison, he contacted my daughter (she's the one I've written about with the serious heart condition, who is finally on the mend) He said "I am coming for my kids" Obviously concerned, my daughter went to the police station looking for help, and to the schools in case he showed up there.

David has always wanted a father he could look up to.... it has never been so.

Well, David stepped up to the plate last night. He arranged to meet his father in a public place. (there were people close by in case anything went wrong) He told him that he wanted nothing to do with the kind of life his father has lived. His father told him that he is changed. He's a Bhudist now. David said.that's nice, but every time he gets out of jail or prison he's a different religion and it has never changed him. It's just a facade. He told him that from now on, if he wanted to see his sister or himself that he would have to go through David and can no longer harrass their mother. It has been ordered by the court that any visitation has to be attended by a court approved monitor. David has laid down the law. He spoke to his father man to man...not son to father. David told him that he plans to do good things with his life. He does not want to follow in his father's footsteps. He asked his father what he has done with his life that he can be proud of. David told him that he plans to be proud of what he does with his life....not because of his father, but in spite of him. His father tried to blame David's mother....David responded...did she put you in jail...or was it your own actions that put you there? He told his father that his mother is the one who has supported him, and he is the man he is because of her.

This man has terrorized my family since David was a little boy. He has done unspeakable things to my daughter. He has been in prison for the past 3 years... and the family felt so much safer with him behind bars.

So last night, David stood his ground, stood up to this bully, and faced him down. I believe it is a turning point.

Happy Birthday to an amazing young man!

Coffee

• wasblind
    wasblind

Oh Yes !!!!!!!

And your family has every right to be proud of that young man

and your right , I wouldn't put any stock in a jail bird convert

The last thing his mom need after all shes been through

is to have to worry about her minor children around that kind of

influence . it's good to have a brother like David

Happy Birthday

• free @ last
    free @ last

Go David! Makes me proud... and I haven't even met him.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Here's what his sister wrote on fb about him

"18 years ago (November 9th 1994) My older brother was born. Now he is a legal adult. He is more mature than most adults I know. He is a natural leader and he is kind and intelligent. I love him so much.
    Happy birthday, I love chuuuu"

Yes...he is a great big brother!

Coffee

• minimus
    minimus

Congrats, Coffee! He sounds OUTSTANDING!!!

• Gayle
    Gayle

wow, a young man of pure strength,, has good genes from his mother and grandparent!!

So many best wishes!

• happy@last
    happy@last

Congratulations to a proud Grandparent, great to see him making the right choices.

• clarity
    clarity

Coffee ...& David

>

Wow ... quality is written all over this young man!

You must be so proud of him personally and of the achievments

he's made ....

sincere congratulations on your walk for homeless children David,

and best wishes as you leap headlong into the future!

clarity

• Scott77
    Scott77

Congraculation CB.

Scott77

• JeffT
    JeffT

Unless some one breaks it, succeeding generations seem to follow the cycle. It looks like your son is the one to stand up and break the cycle. Good for him and congratulations to both of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit