Ethos (and all still mentally in): Truth, Tipping Points and Standards

by NeverKnew 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

If this is "the truth," why has the information provided over the years contained so many errors? At what point does "error" become "outright lie" for you? How high (or low) are your standards for your spiritual leaders?

I've found that many on this board are here because somewhere along the way, they reached their tipping point.

tip·ping point

noun
      tipping points, plural

1. The point at which a series of small ineffective changes acquires enough pressure or importance to cause a larger, more significant change
        • - a kind of tipping point in society, where X number of criminal types gets the edge on Y number of honest citizens
      2. The point at which the buildup of minor incidents reaches a level that causes someone to do something they had formerly resisted

The question from me to you becomes, where is your tipping point? If you tell me you don't have one, you're telling me that you have no standards. If you have no standards, why should I, as someone who has never crossed the threshold of a Kingdom Hall, open my spiritual heart to you?

• Ethos
    Ethos

My tipping point would be a teaching of false doctrine that knowingly went unchecked. Like if the Wt came out and said the Trinity was true. That would be my tipping point that something is wrong.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Ethos is TROLL.

James.

Word.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Now now, let us not bandy words like Troll around, not yet awhiles anyway, lets have a bit of debate between ourselves and Ethos.

Ethos, I posited on another thread that the WT may quite well in years to come soften their stance on the Divinity of Christ, so as to appeal to the main stream a bit more.

Now, if they do that, they sure as fate won't mention that they are getting close to the Trinity doctrine, they will dress it up as wonderful New Light in such a way that the Rank and File JWs will all go "Oh, isn't it wonderful ? We just never looked at those scriptures that way did we? but with the light getting brighter we can see that .........."

I could even write the outline for the talk that will be given and then posted on JW.org , but I am not doing their work for them.

I don't see this happening for a few years, but my friend, if that really is your tipping point ,you may be with us in a fairly short time.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

My tipping point is "spiritual fornication" (with UN, OSCE) and the protection of paedophiles.

• whathappened
    whathappened

I have said this before, but my tipping point was the change in the baptism vows along with the sealing of the 144,000 in 1939 and the reopening of the anointed class in 2007. These two things really bothered me and stuck out amongst all the other nonsense somehow.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

My tipping point would be the realization that the GB uses Proverbs 4:18 to prevent the Jws from noticing that they (GB) have painted THEMSELVES into a corner. I aked myself if this scripture is a prophecy to show that the GB would get it wrong for over a century? The GB use it as if it prophetic fullfilment of them needing to make changes. Would a God REALLY need to send erroneous information to it's one and only channel on Earth? Why not just send the correct info the first time?

What I'm talking about is the ever changing doctrine regarding the "generation" definition, stand on what blood components we can or can not take, and on and on and on.

Finally I had to realize that I had been convinced to turn my BS alarm to mute over the years by those not wanting me to wake up. Once I mentally viewed things as a person would from outside the JWS it was more clear that I had been indoctrinated to "shelve" things continually that would awaken the average critical thinking individual.

Once you are away for a bit and have time to refect on the changes, issues, etc, you start to gain clarity and ot all falls into place. I was in a high control group. Hard to swallow I'll admit. But required swallowing if you ever want to make it out before death.

NJY

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

NeverKnew, that really is a great point for a JW to ponder. It is a similar concept to the phrase "crisis of conscience." If a person were to write down, before they were baptised, what would convince them the religion was wrong, they would not last as JW's for long. However, once baptised the gradual changes, and scandal, get dismissed due to the vested interest in staying.

Ethos - My tipping point would be a teaching of false doctrine that knowingly went unchecked.

That is a great cop out. The Watchtower has constantly preached false doctrine, and still do, since no doubt doctrine will continue to change. Your qualification of "knowingly" lets them get out of the falsehoods. Well, with that sort of reasoning, I could belong to any religion, since none "knowingly" teach false doctrine.

Also, I do not believe you would leave, or that most JWs would leave, if they started teaching the Trinity. All other doctrinal changes in the past have been accepted by the majority with ignorant silence, including the related change on Worshipping Jesus.

As Hassan indentifies:

"It is important to understand that in most Bible-based cults, although the member is aggressively taught doctrine, it is not the doctrine that holds him in the group. It is the sense that the group is God's true people, a feeling cultivated by techniques of mind control. Thus, to engage the cult member in a Biblical argument or discussion is often futile." Stephen Hassan Releasing the Bonds p.145

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Ethos - My tipping point would be a teaching of false doctrine that knowingly went unchecked.

Nah. With respect. It wouldn't be your tipping point because if the WBT$ told you the trinity was correct you'd go along with it methinks.

On another subject the WBT$ definition of the 'trinity' is wrong in the first place. In essence they say that their wrong definition is correct, then they tell you why it's wrong. They set up a straw man then knock him down. Hilarious.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The WT could begin teaching The Trinity without suffering a huge loss in membership.

Doctine is irrelevent. It's about control and authority.

"We're gonna ask you to carry this suicide card in your wallet at all times."

"Yes, sir."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit