New Light or A More Tangled Web?

by DNCall 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Not any different to the LDS/Mormons then, until good old Joseph Smith came along, there were no Apostles from the first century till his establishing his cult, then he appoints 12 Apostles.

Its just that the Mormons beat the GB to the idea by about 150 years.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

@Phizzy: "What true worship was that then ??????"

The Rutherford kind :-) The "furious at the system for imprisoning him" kind, the "you'll get yours from God soon, you wicked harlot" kind. Anyway, I didn't know that about the Mormons, interesting!

Coming back to the subject of the "uncared-for household", we all know how the Society used to highlight certain groups and individuals -- Tyndale, Wycliffe, the Anabaptists, the Waldenses, etc. -- as if they were the missing links between the 1st century and today. But I was reminded of this, written by Barbara Anderson:

" Subsequently, my careful analysis of the facts convinced Karl [Adams] there was not one generation of true Christians linking to a succeeding generation based on the four points as outlined above. Karl closed this research project by promising this assertion would never again be made, although, to this day, the teaching has not been abandoned. On page 44 of the book, Jehovah’s Witnesses—Proclaimers of God’s Kingdom, the best Karl could say in answer to the question, “What happened to true Christianity after the first century?” was, “True Christianity, then, was never completely stamped out.” Then he said, “Throughout the centuries there have always been truth lovers” and proceeded to list a few outstanding Bible loyalists."

You could say that the GB is simply finally acknowledging what has been known for a long time. Even a cursory read of those "truth lover" articles made it clear that the groups had essential differences in doctrine from the Witnesses who supposedly were modeling their beliefs after 1st century Xianity. Then again, Russell's Bible Students had essential differences in doctrine from Rutherford's Witnesses. And Rutherford's Witnesses of 1919 had essential differences in doctrine from the Witnesses of today! I guess the fact that the GB were okay with taking blood back then was just part of God's plan, so we could be impressed by just how much brighter the light has gotten since then, and they somehow still had God's approval as his F&DS.

P.S.: Is there a proper "quote block" style available on this forum?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Apognophos: Is there a proper "quote block" style available on this forum?

No, but most posters indent quotes of other posters. Not exactly a formal style.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

i think we just saw their get out of dodge plan for 1914. They weren' JW's

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

NEW LIGHT (tm) !!!!

" It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham. "

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit