Layoffs

by LV101 33 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

Heard at dinner last night big corporations planning major layofffs/Obama's healthcare. Lockheed (and many of the others) provide phenomenal health coverage already. Anyone else up on this. Just when feeling optomistic and hopeful!

• dazed but not confused
  • dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

This is just part of the list of expected layoffs

In the last 48 hours, the following major corporations have announced layoffs in America (links take you to news stories about the layoffs – with details from the companies):

Energizer -

The St. Louis-based company said Thursday that it expects to shed about 1,500 employees. When finished, the restructuring should lead to $200 million in pretax yearly savings, Energizer said. It aims to have most of its restructuring steps finished by the end of September 2014.

Exide Technologies -

Exide Technologies announced Thursday that it will be idling its lead-recycling operations in Laureldale and laying off 150 workers, effective no later than March 31.

Westinghouse -

Westinghouse Anniston, the contractor responsible for shutting down Anniston’s chemical weapons incinerator, has reduced its workforce by another 50 employees.

Research in Motion Limited -

Research in Motion Ltd., the maker of BlackBerry smartphones, laid off about 200 people at its U.S. headquarters in Irving on Wednesday, according to a source close to the company who did not want to be named.

• MC RubberMallet
    MC RubberMallet

Is it really Obama's fault? Not sure about 3 of those companies, but I know for a fact RIM has been doing not so great lately anyway.

Just curious...

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

My understanding is that it has to do with Obamacare. Lets have the govenment take more money from already suffering companies during this shitty recession. Obama doesn't give a shit especially about small business like the one I own. So "Obama's fault"? Maybe not but it sure doesn't help having him back in office helping those who want a hand out.

"I explained to them a month ago that if Obama gets in office that the regulations for Obamacare are gonna hurt our business, and I’m gonna have to make provisions to make sure I have enough money to cover the payroll taxes, the additional health care I’m gonna have to do, and I explained that to them and I said you do what you feel like in your heart you need to do, but I’m just letting you know as a warning this is things I have to think of as a business owner."

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/333089/obamacare-layoffs-begin-jillian-kay-melchior#

• Berengaria
    Berengaria
    This is just part of the list of expected layoffs

Not a single one of which has ANYTHING to do with the President. Do you folks ever bust out of the Glenn Beck Rush Limbaugh Fox News hamster wheel and think for yourselves? Evidently not.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

His shitty policies are kicking the economy when its already down.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Massive layoffs as ObamaCare looms

unemployment
    shadow

November 09, 2012 The Washington Times is reporting that many companies plan massive layoffs as ObamaCAre becomes a reality:

Freedom Works has put together a list of companies that will be laying off employees as a result of President Barack Obama's health care law:

Welch Allyn

Welch Allyn, a company that manufactures medical diagnostic equipment in central New York, announced in September that they would be laying off 275 employees, or roughly 10% of their workforce over the next three years. One of the major reasons discussed for the layoffs was a proactive response to the Medical Device Tax mandated by the new healthcare law.

Dana Holding Corp.

As recently as a week ago, a global auto parts manufacturing company in Ohio known as Dana Holding Corp., warned their employees of potential layoffs, citing "$24 million over the next six years in additional U.S. health care expenses". After laying off several white collar staffers, company insiders have hinted at more to come. The company will have to cover the additional $24 million cost somehow, which will likely equate to numerous cuts in their current workforce of 25,500 worldwide.

Stryker

One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker will close their facility in Orchard Park, New York, eliminating 96 jobs in December. Worse, they plan on countering the medical device tax in Obamacare by slashing 5% of their global workforce - an estimated 1,170 positions.

Boston Scientific

In October of 2009, Boston Scientific CEO Ray Elliott, warned that proposed taxes in the health care reform bill could "lead to significant job losses" for his company. Nearly two years later, Elliott announced that the company would be cutting anywhere between 1,200 and 1,400 jobs, while simultaneously shifting investments and workers overseas - to China.

Medtronic

In March of 2010, medical device maker Medtronic warned that Obamacare taxes could result in a reduction of precisely 1,000 jobs. That plan became reality when the company cut 500 positions over the summer, with another 500 set for the end of 2013.

Others

A short list of other companies facing future layoffs at the hands of Obamacare:

Smith & Nephew - 770 layoffs

Abbott Labs - 700 layoffs

Covidien - 595 layoffs

Kinetic Concepts - 427 layoffs

St. Jude Medical - 300 layoffs

Hill Rom - 200 layoffs

Beyond the complete elimination of a significant number of American jobs is another looming problem created by the health care law - a shift from full-time to part-time workers.

Click here to read the rest of the story. http://www.beaufortobserver.net/Articles-NEWS-and-COMMENTARY-c-2012-11-09-263698.112112-Massive-layoffs-as-ObamaCare-looms.html

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Bull. Give us some facts. We didn't get in to the mess we are in in the last three and a half years. It's taken years and years of moving in the wrong direction to get us to this point.

• rather be in hades
    rather be in hades

you should stop listening to glenn beck. he's a moron of epic proportions and a liar.

from your own link:

The closing of the Maryville facility was an extremely difficult decision but necessary because of dramatic changes in the overall battery market over the past three to four years. With the increased use of rechargeable electronic devices with multiple features, primary battery sales continue to decline in developed markets worldwide."
    The maker of batteries, Schick razors and Wet Ones cleaning wipes also said it more than doubled its quarterly profits. It posted fiscal fourth-quarter net income of $117 million, or $1.84 per share. That’s up from $45.8 million, or 67 cents per share, in the same quarter of last year, which was weighed down by restructuring and other items.
    Net sales were $1.14 billion, a 5 percent drop from the previous year. Energizer said the slip was partially the result of weakening demand for batteries and fewer hurricanes in the U.S. The company’s quarter ended Sept. 30, and Superstorm Sandy hit the Northeastern U.S. on Oct. 29.
    Excluding money set aside for lawsuits and other items, adjusted earnings for Energizer Holdings, Inc. came out to $1.76 per share.
    Analysts had expected the company to post earnings of $1.55 per share and sales of $1.14 billion, according to the data provider FactSet.

now does that REALLY sound like obamacare screwed these people out of a job? is it a company making changes to adapt in a changing world? is it a case of greedy share holders demanding more profits despite already exceeding expected targets even after setting aside money for lawsuits?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit