DISPUTE THIS KNOW-IT-ALLS!!!

by DATA-DOG 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• still thinking
    still thinking

ROFLMAO!!

Of course Beduhn also criticized them for putting Jehooba in the NT...but whats a criticism between imaginary supporters...LOL

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

That is pretty well word for word what my elderette pioneer indoctrinatrix used to say, over and over again, agressively, and defensively too, as if daring me to contradict.

I argued to begin with but in the end I just sat quiet and speechless thinking "what am I doing here?"

They actually think and believe that the NWT is the best, most accurate, most learned translation ever. They actually think it's the only correct one!

If someone told them Jehovah really lived on the Moon, and that was why just 144,000 because there wouldn't be room for all the thrones....they would believe it!!!!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

they are prone to chasing the crumbs of the table of DO's and CO's at assemblies. Anything stated, just to confirm it's really really really really close.One year, a rogue CO stated that the great trib had already began. Wow that spread like woldfire, and every smug JW was happy about all the people about to get killed in the end

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

That's exactly what they say here, wha happened?.

• glenster
    glenster

BeDuhn: "Having concluded that the NWT is one of the most accurate English
    translations of the New Testament currently available, I would be remiss if I
    did not mention one peculiarity of this translation that by most conventions of
    translation would be considered an inaccuracy, however little this inaccuracy
    changes the meaning of most of the verses where it appears. I am referring to the
    use of 'Jehovah' in the NWT New Testament. 'Jehovah' (or 'Yahweh' or some other
    reconstruction of the divine name consisting of the four consonants YHWH) is the
    personal name of God used more than six thousand times in the original Hebrew of
    the Old Testament. But the name never appears in any Greek manuscript of any book
    of the New Testament. So, to introduce the name 'Jehovah' into the New Testament,
    as the NWT does two-hundred-thirty-seven times, is not accurate translation by
    the most basic principle of accuracy: adherence to the original Greek text."
    (p. 169)
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Jehovah-s-Witness-1617/2010/8/Prof-Jason-BeDuhn.htm

• dog is god
    dog is god

Try this, THere is absolutely NO translation from the origional writings.

• Emery
    Emery

BeDuhn's book is a nice read, but he has stated in several emails that he disagrees with many NWT passages that were translated in support of doctrines. He admits in his book that the NWT is not free of bias. BeDuhn is a New Testament scholar who disagrees with the Trinity, the one bible who supports his view is the NWT, its as simple as that. BeDuhn graduated from Harvard Divinity School, where such teachings like the Trinity is heavily disected and historically put in perspective. I know this from reading several articles against the Trinity from a Harvard graduate and former paster turned muslim Dr. Jerald Dirks.

Dirks recalls his time at Harvard and mentioned that most who graduate from the Divinity school no longer come away with a belief in the Trinity, which was what lead him to Islam.

• glenster
    glenster

There is responsible treatment of the earliest writings.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Original_New_Testament#New_Testament_manuscripts

I agree with BeDuhn in that the most notable translation problem with the NWT
    is the addition of "Jehovah"s in the NT, which he says changes the meaning of a
    lot of verses. Specifically:

Some other Bible translations have used "Jehovah" instead of the Greek word
    for "Lord," "kurios," for New Testament quotes of verses in Hebrew that con-
    tain "YHWH." The New World Translation also uses "Jehovah" that way 78 times.
    It's a debatable thing to do since none of the early NT manuscripts have it,
    but as it's normally done it doesn't make any doctrinal difference in identify-
    ing Jesus.
    http://www.tetragrammaton.org/divname.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetragrammaton_in_the_New_Testament

More controversial is the apparent motive for many of the rest of the 237
    cases (plus 72 in footnotes) in which the NWT NT replaces "Lord" with "Jeho-
    vah."
    http://www.freeminds.org/doctrine/jehovah/witnessing-the-name.html
    http://www.believersweb.org/view.cfm?id=539&rc=1&list=multi

The JWs leaders teach that "Jehovah," taken literally, refers only to the Fa-
    ther, and that Jesus is archangel Michael, isn't to be worshipped, and isn't
    God. In a lot of NT verses "Lord" appears in all the earliest Greek NT manu-
    scripts and could be, and usually is, taken by mainstream Christianity to refer
    to Jesus as God, but the JWs leaders' stance has it that "Lord" in those verses
    refers to the Father and not the Son. So the word "Lord" in those verses is re-
    placed in the JWs leaders' NWT by "Jehovah" to bolster the JWs leaders' case that
    Jesus isn't referred to in those verses or to be give the mainstream identifica-
    tion.

In 400 other verses where the JWs leaders teach that "kurios" refers only to
    Jesus, the JWs leaders' NWT has "kurios" translated as "Lord."

Jesus, as taught by the JWs leaders, is archangel Michael, a god in the figur-
    ative sense, who was called "Lord" too much.
    http://glenster1.webs.com/gtjbrooklyn6b.htm

• elderelite
    elderelite

although Im lmfao at this the funny OP and responses, i would point out that this isnt actually "new" at all. Its been in the reasoning book since 1985 as their defense of their bible....

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

Jason BeDuhn

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search

Jason David BeDuhn, Ph.D. is an historian of religion and culture, currently Professor of Religious Studies at Northern Arizona University.

Beduhn holds a B.A. in Religious studies from the University of Illinois, Urbana, an M.T.S. in New Testament and Christian Origins from Harvard Divinity School, and a Ph.D. in the Comparative Study of Religions from Indiana University, Bloomington. He first gained brief national attention [citation needed] at the age of 18 when remarks he made in a speech to the high school graduating class of Rock Island, Illinois, sharply critical of oppressive attitudes towards youth by older generations of Americans, were widely reported in the American press. He defended his remarks in subsequent radio and television appearances by pointing to the historical contribution of youth to social idealism and cultural innovation.

He won the Best First Book Award from the American Academy of Religion in 2001 for his book The Manichaean Body in Discipline and Ritual (ISBN 0-8018-6270-1), notable for its analysis of religions as goal-oriented systems of practice rationalized within particular models of reality [1]. His second book,Truth in Translation: Accuracy and Bias in English Translations of the New Testament, has generated considerable controversy for highlighting cases of theological bias in the translation process, by which, he argues, contemporary Christian views are anachronistically introduced into the Bible versions upon which most modern English-speaking Christians rely.

He was named a Guggenheim Fellow in 2004 List of Guggenheim Fellowships awarded in 2004.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit