For photographers - Canon shooters

by SadElder 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• shamus100
    shamus100

Hint,

I found using a 50mm lens (f1.4) a great little lens. It's light, cheap, and the shots are brutally clear. Try putting that one in your arsenal. Well worth the money and a really fun lens to play with. :D

• SadElder
    SadElder

Shamus: I bought a 50mm about a month ago but haven't had the time to "play" yet. Soon. BTW did you see how much a 1.2 costs vs the 1.4?...WOW Too much!

Hint: I have a 100-400 IS which has been my mainstay since I started shooting. It's great for birds in flight too, heavy but not terribly so. I'd like to move to the next level with something that gives me a little more reach. Hence the 500 vs 600 question. I can buy a 500 for about $1000 less than a 600. Some folks seem to lean in that direction because of the weight of the 600, about 3 lbs more than the 500. I don't really see that as an issue because I likely will never lug either beast without my "carriage". Though the savings might launch me into that full frame dslr I want.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    I found using a 50mm lens (f1.4) a great little lens. It's light, cheap, and the shots are brutally clear. Try putting that one in your arsenal. Well worth the money and a really fun lens to play with. :D

Absolutely - I'm shooting with a T2x Rebel myself, so I may go 35mm to accomodate the smaller sensor.. unless someone convinces me the 50mm is better.. But I'd love to have a good prime in my kit.

I'm also looking at that new canon macro lens. As much as I hate bugs.. I just love photographing them.

One thing I'd suggest to any budding photographer: shooting in RAW format and Photoshop Lightroom should be learned before purchasing any additional lenses. I think you get more for your money learning the basics of developing digital photos than that any L-series lens can gain.

- Lime

• SadElder
    SadElder

Shamus: haven't heard much other than the ads I've read about the Kirk. Yeah it's pricey too! Aren't we a crazy lot?

Do a follow-up on its' performance if you will.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime

Shamus: Looks like a good head.

One of my favorite heads is on my monopod - a manfrotto ball head... looks similar, if a bit less precise - but for a monopod it's good - very fast to adjust and extremely versitle. The head I use on my big tripod is an older manfrotto fluid head I inherited from an old job that is rediculously heavy, but great for video tasks (which I tend to do more of nowdays.. I participate in a local indy film group. Shooting video through a DSLR with a good lens results in some very nice video.)

- Lime

• shamus100
    shamus100

Here is my follow-up;

It's still set up and it works like a dream. It is really really precise!

And yes, shoot in Raw plus jpeg if you can. ;) Can't recommend RAW enough - if you ever want true ownership of your photos you need to do this.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Oh, BTW I use Aperture for finishing. **coughapplenerdcough**

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit