Hi! Life story of young, 23-year-old (gay), disassociated, non-baptized publisher

by HillCountry 29 Replies latest jw friends

• HillCountry
    HillCountry

Hello, this is my first post and the first time I have told my entire story, albeit abridged, to anyone. It will be a long story, sorry.

My grandparents were brought up with different religious backgrounds but converted to Bible Students around the Depression era. Later, my grandfather met my grandmother through the congregation and got married until his death, having a marriage that lasted over four decades. My grandparents were very much into the Truth and my grandpa even became the president/Elder of a congregation (before the present-day arrangement of the body of elders). He was a strict, but caring, person who would give the shirt off his back to help anyone. My grandmother was always in field service and signed up frequently to be a pioneer (she even served as a missionary in her early years). As a result, my family had a good name recognized throughout the region. One problem was that my grandpa often neglected my dad who never got into trouble for the wayward sheep in the congregation and my dad's ne'er-do-well siblings. This caused tension because my father was always forced to be a good publisher, "strongly admonished" to not pursue a further education, and basically always live in the shadow of a great elder. Later, my dad met my mom (also in the congregation) and got married. Shortly after, I was born.

Growing up as a child, I remember always going into field service every Saturday, studying and going to the meetings three times a week, and generally being a good boy who never associated with "worldlies." For a while, I was happy and had a strong sense of identity and purpose. Eventually, though, I began to grow distant from the organization and began to loathe going to the meetings and field service. Little things began to bother men.

I still remember vividly answering difficult questions in the Kingdom Ministry School talks regarding the blood issue at the time of year we had to renew our forms. It amazed me how uninformed many in the congregation were to such an important topic. Further, I once was at field service with another elder and I asked him when constituents of blood ceased to be "blood" for all intents and purposes, and what defined the "cut-off" point between "inherently objectionable" and "left to one's conscience." His answers failed to satisfy my twelve-year-old curiosity. Many doubts crept up to me slowly.

Another issue was the Organization's position on higher education. As a fairly intelligent person, going to college was never a question. I was going to go and not waste my mind. Seeing how my family fared without higher education because of the organization's policies strengthened my resolution to go college. I saw through the BS that was presented in assemblies about brothers rejecting academia for the Organization.

Unfortunately, my intelligence was a double-edged sword because it translated into good comments, a high maturity level, and good general biblical knowledge. Heck, I gave my first part when I was 6 reading the bible on stage; it made me seem like I would quickly become a ministerial servant, then elder, then who knows what (CO, DO, Bethelite). That's why when I turned 12 and hadn't shown a strong interest in getting baptized, some began to prod me "gently." (Sidebar: By this time, my grandfather had already passed and my family really wasn't that zealous in the Truth; nevertheless, thanks to my grandparents, I was a "legacy")

There were only two problems with me getting baptized: 1) I didn't believe everything that was said at the meetings, 2) I was GAY.

As I went through puberty, I began to feel a strong attraction towards males. Earlier, I felt I would marry a girl and live happily ever after, but realized that was not going to happen. As I battled with these emotions, I believed I would be able to pray to Jehovah or that, as the Young People Ask book says, outgrow these temporary feelings. As you might suspect, I wasn't able to rid myself of these feelings. Eventually, I realized as a teenager that I could not get baptized because if I did, I would be accountable to the Organization and, if I got disfellowshiped for acting on my impulses, I would lose my entire family. So I strategically decided to not get baptized so my family and I would remain bonded. (I was really afraid of getting DF'd because my aunt had been DF'd and no one in my family ever visited her because my grandparents had to follow the draconian protocol to the letter). So, when an elder offered me a bible study so I could be baptized, I politely accepted, but began to feel very ill emotionally. Eventually, I fell into depression and anxiety and was seen regularly by a psychiatrist and psychologist. I never uttered to these professionals what was wrong with me, but just made up false reasons why I was depressed. I was prescribed medication which helped; that also indefinitely delayed my bible study because I was "ill."

After months of therapy, my mom (who is as liberal JWs as you can find) said she saw in me how uncomfortable the meetings made me and said if I wanted to stop going, she would understand. (The reason why meetings made me uncomfortable was because I didn't want to be approached about when I was going to get baptized or hear comments that made homosexuals seem like degenerates. For instance, in one assembly's demonstration, two young JW's sisters (by birth) were discussing a gay topic and the dad overheard them and stormed in and said to "NEVER speak of such topic again because it went against God." The untactfulness of the presentation that made even mentioning gay issues taboo made me cry later on making me feel that, by that definition, I couldn't even awknowledge what was going on with me). For all intents and purposes, from that day on, I disassociated myself from the Organization and haven't looked back. I will still go to assemblies and the Lord's Supper, but it is now more for anthropological reasons rather than spiritual; plus it makes my mom feel comfortable in her mind thinking there's a chance I might go back. My dad hasn't really broached the subject because he himself rarely goes to meetings anymore. He has become really lukewarm in the organization because of years of neglect from my grandfather as he put the "kingdom's interests" first.

I still struggle with my sexuality because I don't know what to do. Will I fall in love with someone and be happy? What will my family say if I ever have a boyfriend or partner? Given that marriage may actually be a possiblity in the future, would I be emotionally ready to wed? Will my family be ready? My mom is the only member of the family who knows I'm gay and says she loves me no matter what. Nevertheless, loving me doesn't automatically equate with acceptance of any significant other I may have. Given that family is very strong for me, I won't really come out until I am ready and stable in life. Until then I hope to finish my education (BA in economics) and be a productive member of society (the worldly one).

Nevertheless, I feel horrible knowing that if I had become baptized and then become disfellowshipped, I would have lost much of my family. I am glad I never did get baptized as I am glad to finally begin to heal from all of the trauma and cognitive dissonance I faced throughout my childhood. I know I had it relatively easy and just pray (figuratively, because I actually do not believe in the power of prayer on anyone other than the one who prays and those who know they are being prayed upon because of the psychological effects) those who have it harder than me are able to find peace and comfort.

Sorry if my post was all over the place. I tried to condence 22 years of my life in one small essay. If y'all have any questions, I will be glad to answer them. Thanks for giving me a place to heal.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

not read all the post, but you cant be DA'ed if you've never been baptized IIRC.

• still thinking
    still thinking

((((Hug)))

Thanks for sharing your story, it was very touching. And wasn't all over the place at all.

You have been very brave holding in all that fear. Now it's time to be even braver and share your fears...I'm glad you feel you have found a place that can help.

There will be many here who have struggled as you have. And I'm sure they will have kind words to comfort and support you.

Welcome to the forum

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey HillCountry!

A touching and well written account.

Congratulations on being so strong, balanced and sensible at such a relatively young age.

There is a great life outside and after the spiritually blind, supremacist, judgmental, and hypocritical Watchtower doomsday cult - especially for gays.

I pray you meet a life partner that brings out the very best in you.

There is also plenty of room for gays in God's economy and Kingdom. If and when you ever have the inclination to look in that direction, I pray that you remember that there is a beautiful detailed map, hidden in plain sight throughout scripture. This map leads away from religion, legalism and moralism to a heavenly father who is very different from the god of religion.

This map is called the unabridged "Good News". There is nothing religionists secretly hate and fear more since this map fully exposes them and their designs to keep people spiritually captive so that they can be controlled and manipulated by fear, guilt and shame.

(If Watchtower followers are not "sons of God", whom are they calling "father"?)

Greetings and blessings

Fernando

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Yay

It's great to hear from another born-in who didn't get baptised. There are too few of us around here.

Stick around for a while and you might pick up some tips to get your parents trying to justify staying with the church, rather than them thinking that you have to justify leaving.

Cheers

Chris

• cantleave
    cantleave

Welcome and thanks for sharing!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I've just read every word you've written, and it speaks straight from the heart. It is such an honest, open account that I really hope that in writing it you were able to feel that you have set it all out for yourself as much as for us to read.

It is so good to set things out like that. Then it's there, and you can look at it. What I saw was a very mature and intelligent and most especially good-hearted young man who tried hard to conform to a completely unacceptable regime . Your words speak volumes. Your honesty and your love of your family really shine through.

Welcome to the board! That's the first thing! You have come to the right place. I'm sure you're going to find help and support, and most of all the elbow room to give yourself space and time to reflect on it all. Before long you'll find you'll make friends here and find others of a like mind, and the whole thing will run alongside your real, offline life. One way or another things will begin to sort themselves out.

I have a feeling that before long you'll find yourself helping someone else on here.

• irondork
    irondork

Nice job, HillCountry. Welcome to the forum.

I wish I had possessed the forsight you had by not getting baptised. I thought baptism was some magical pill that would someday turn me straight, a change I had prayed for diligently. Strange that it didn't work out that way. Instead, a few years later I wound up disfellowshipped, kicked out of the house, lost the family... every nighmare scenario come true sort of thing. Twenty-five years later - the family is still dead, some literally, a few others not. Impressive how thoroughly the Watchtower organization is able to destroy the bonds that make you give a rip about those people.

Not getting baptised into that group was a smart move. Nice job.

The are a few homos running around this forum. I'm sure they will chime in on your thread. Great guys and gals. Very inteligent and helpful. Stick around and absorb. There's lots to learn here and it will go a long way in settling your mind and helping you heal.

Jason

BEWARE OF THE MONKEY!!! - you'll understand soon enough.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Hi!

Thanks for sharing your touching story.

I have written you a PM.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Welcome HC, you are clearly very 'switched on' and intelligent, well done for seeing through the BS so early on and not 'conforming', and I am really happy you have your mum as a good friend. Hope the 'healing' as you describe it continues for you, you are still young and have a lot of life ahead of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit