"Truth Be Told" - the movie...

by ziddina 14 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

Well, I had the rare opportunity to see this movie tonight, and I would HIGHLY recommed it for all ex-Jehovah's Witnesses!!!

The documentary film basically consisted of a series of interviews with ex-Jehovah's Witnesses.

Instead of having one interview with the first person, then proceedeing on to the next one, however, Mr. Smith put together footage from each interview specific to a topic - what it was like being a small child when the parents converted, what it was like being dragged to the meetings and out in "service" as a small child, what it was like missing out on Christmas, birthdays and other fun holidays, what it was like going to school and feeling different or isolated, what it was like being denied - "discouraged" - from getting a college education, what it was like dating - or "non-dating" in the religion, what it was like having one's sexual behaviors controlled and censured, what it was like being disfellowshipped, and so on...

As the film's director, Gregorio Smith said, his "target audience" was three-fold...

Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses, who would be most likely to identify with the people in the film...

Non-Jehovah's Witnesses - "worldly" people - who are interested in or might be considering joining the religion...

And the group least likely to actually see the movie - active Jehovah's Witnesses - however, disenchanted JWs and those considering an exit might be more likely to view it.

It was well done. The movie used a somewhat non-threatening approach, as opposed to a confrontational or sensationalistic technique.

There wasn't anything actually NEW in the movie's information, though one comment made by a young man - Gregorio's brother, I think - really hit home... Regarding the practice of making small children go door-to-door proselytising, he said:

"Here they are sending children door-to-door presenting people with a CHOICE, yet the children going door-to-door [attempting to lure more people into the religion] have absolutely NO CHOICE in the matter...."

That's a rough quote, by the way...

I wish I'd recorded it on my phone, but I thought that would have been too obvious.

Mr. Smith said that he's working on having the film picked up by Netflix or something like that. Unfortunately, the film is not available right now - not even on DVDs.

There was a brief question-and-answer session afterwards, but it didn't bring out any new information, either. Most of the questions appeared to have been asked by people unfamiliar with the religion.

Mr. Smith asked for a show of hands after the movie regarding who were ex-Jehovah's Witnesses; about half of the audience were ex-Jehovah's Witnesses.

Interestingly, I observed at least two families get up and leave the theater soon after the start of the question-and-answer session following the movie. They really didn't look very happy, either. I wondered whether they were "active" Jehovah's Witnesses checking out the movie, or just in a hurry to get home.

The movie was much harder-hitting than the "Knocking" softumentary, but didn't mention "shunning" though it touched on the effects of the practice. Nor was the "blood transfusion" issue discussed - touched on very briefly, if I remember correctly, but not really discussed.

Most of the participants were disfellowshipped. No one specifically stated that they'd disassociated themselves, but at least 3 stated that they'd been disfellowshipped. Most of the participants were also fairly young; between 20 and 30 years old. [I told Mr. Smith after the movie that he needed to include some of MY generation, because we saw that whole "1975" fiasco go down... Hee hee!!]

There was one Hispanic gay man, two - three black men [if I remember correctly??], one woman, and one white man who was obviously still "thinking like a JW", despite his exit from the religion.

Mr. Smith ended up making his selections for the film through an unlikely set of coincidences; he'd interviewed over 20 people for the film, but most of the people interviewed weren't there to be in the movie; they just wanted to be able to talk to someone about the problems and issues they had with the religion.

For his final selection, he chose a woman he'd run into at a party; they'd had one date where they found out that they were both ex-JWs, and now they're good friends, so that's why she agreed to be in the movie. The Hispanic gay man was her co-worker - and neither of them realized that they had that in common, either, until Mr. Smith began fielding the idea of the movie to her. Another one was also a co-worker, I think...

Can't remember all the details... Sorry.

That's all I can recall for now. I'll add to this thread as/if I remember more details of the movie; it's late here and I need some sleep...

If you want to go to his website, though, here is the link: http://www.hereliesthetruth.com/

Zid

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

(bookmarking)

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

dying to see this film. what you have described so far, zid, makes me want to see it for myself even more

• ziddina
    ziddina

Mr. Smith said that he was working on making the film available via Netflix or some such movie service. He estimated that it would be available by next spring... I was hoping to buy the DVD, but he hasn't produced any for resale, yet... But then, I haven't looked thru that website yet, either.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Visited the site and I'm very interested to see this! Would be happy to buy it once available.

• panhandlegirl
    panhandlegirl

MARKING

• d
    d

What website can I go on to to see the whole thing?

• ziddina
    ziddina

d, it isn't available in full, yet....

from my second comment above:

"Mr. Smith said that he was working on making the film available via Netflix or some such movie service. He estimated that it would be available by next spring... I was hoping to buy the DVD, but he hasn't produced any for resale, yet... "

Doggone it all...

I wanted to buy a DVD last night, but they haven't been produced. He's already spent quite a bit of money making and marketing the movie, so I guess he lacked sufficient funds? Or maybe he'd rather have it more readily available in a media form that is very popular - reaches more people that way...

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

If he is waiting for someone to come along and pay him millions to own its release, I cant see it happening. It looks fantastic and I cant wait to see it, but I dont see where the target market is aside people like us. JWs arent allowed to see it, their family and friends will be warned not to watch it (most prob still would) and everyone else knows its all bonkers anyway.

Its not like its a fly on the wall insight into the life of a JW, its interviews of people that left and the complaints they have had.

Despite all this, as I said, I am totally behind it and would love to see it. Speaking for the UK, its the kind of thing that Channel 4 love and would show. Check out their 4od (4 on demand) streaming site and visit their documentary section, as you can see, it would fit into their genre of humans with interesting stories vibe.

So jealous Zid, if the team need help getting it out, tell them to come here and ask for help. We can help generate interest, whether it be email bombing channels or showing it / sending it around.

• Satanus
    Satanus

He could sell it through a place like hulu.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit