What happened in the Christian Congregation immediately following the destruction of Jerusalem?

by itsibitsybrainbutbigenoughtosmellarat 29 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

One of the things that changed was the direction from which persecution came.

Just prior to the Jewish rebellion, or as it was reaching the boiling point, Rome became the chief oponent of Christianity.

Prior to this it was mainly the Jews. Not exclusively, but on the main. Gentile persecution (based on the book of Acts) was often at the instigation of the Jews or was directed at the Jews with Christians considered a part of the Jewish problem.

Some consider Jesus' words at Luke 21:24 to refer to this change in the direction of persecution, since historically it's start basically parallels with the Jewish war. The phrase I am referring to is, "and Jerusalem will be trampled on by the nations, until the appointed times of the nations are fulfilled." With "Jerusalem" basically alluding to Christianity rather than the Jewish city. With this understanding, Jesus is saying that from that time onward they could expect persecution mainly coming from Gentile sources until Gentile dominion comes to an end.

This is not quite the same as the way the Society applies it. In their commentary on this phrase they insert the words, "continue to" after "will" so as to make the allusion a reference to the continuation of Gentile domination over Jewish (i.e. Theocratic) rule since 607 bc.

• Pterist
    Pterist

I am of the opinion that after the destruction of fleshly Jerusalem and Israel in 70 AD, that Christ raptured his church as promised. The New Jerusalem became a blessing to the nations through the scriptures they left behind, and Christ's prevailing Spirit as promised being available where two or three are gathered in his name. We are now living in the symbolic 1000 years, which will end some day in the final judgement.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Pterist

From your name, would i be presumptuous in thinking that you are of the preterist persausion? That's where i was at, just before i bailed on christianity. Not that i'm suggesting that you would, only that i understand it, a little bit.

S

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

Good question, itsybitsy. The answer to that is probably what lay in the future for the apostlolic lineage. The Church was built and administered as if Christ was on Earth at that point. And for the greater part of about 1,000 years, things went well for Christianity. This is seen by theologians as evidence that the millennial reign of Christ was only spiritual and in the past, and the final judgment yet to come. There is a great resource on Early Church history at http://www.preteristarchive.com/ChurchHistory/index.html . I would recommend Thomas Aquinas. He is one of the best Church Fathers.

Interesting, Satanus. How long had you been preterist before bailing? What was the final straw for you leaving the faith?

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Satanus:

You read my thoughts.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Nostone

I studied the preterist for at least a yr. The breaking straw came when i a read a treatment, almost a book on the impossibility of the flood by alan feuerbacher, a poster at the time. At the end of it, he brought up the two sets of 10 commandments and their conflicts, and the two creation accounts and their conflicts. As well, there a few more doublings and attendant conflicts in the bible. That broke it, for me.

S

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

itsybitsy,
    Justin Martyr - Dialogue with Trypho, a Jew - Written in 150 AD

"For if we looked for a human kingdom, we should also deny our Christ, that we might not be slain; and we should strive to escape detection, that we might obtain what we expect. But since our thoughts are not fixed on the present, we are not concerned when men cut us off" (Justin's First Apology, ch. 11)

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

Satanus, did you ever read anything by Emmanuel Velikovsky?

• Pterist
    Pterist

Satanus ...

Thanks for your reply.....After proving that the end time calculations held by the WTBS were in error, it subsequently followed that their whole foundation and authority was based on error.

After some study and prayer for God's guidence, Partial Preterism and amillenism seemed more plausible to me than the many alternative views. However, eschatology should not effect our individual salvation to lead a Gody life in Christ's resurrected power.

Thanks again friend

Shalom

• NoStonecutters
    NoStonecutters

itsy, more from Dialogue with Trypho (150 AD)

Chapter XXIV.—God continually shows us in nature that there will be a resurrection

Let us consider, beloved, how the Lord continually proves to us that there shall be a future resurrection, of which He has rendered the Lord Jesus Christ the first-fruits by raising Him from the dead. Let us contemplate, beloved, the resurrection which is at all times taking place. Day and night declare to us a resurrection. The night sinks to sleep, and the day arises; the day [again] departs, and the night comes on.

Let us behold the fruits [of the earth], how the sowing of grain takes place. The sower goes forth, and casts it into the ground; and the seed being thus scattered, though dry and naked when it fell upon the earth, is gradually dissolved. Then out of its dissolution the mighty power of the providence of the Lord raises it up again, and from one seed many arise and bring forth fruit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit