Ok. I'm confused and slightly stunned.

by Left in the Cold 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Left in the Cold
    Left in the Cold

On pages 54 & 55 of the "What has Religion Done for Mankind" book the following quotes can be found. Considering Adams decision to eat the fruit with Eve it is written, "The woman was not to consult her husband first on the matter of eating, although God had made him first and had used him to construct the woman concerning the forbidden tree. No, but she was to exercise woman's rights and show him she had better judgement."

"It was just as in many lands today where the religious clergy dominate politics and commerce. The men who see the double-talk and double-dealing of the clergy have no use for these religious hypocrites. BUT because their womenfolk hold to the religious system, the men make no disturbance about it just in order to keep their women and get along with them."

btw, religious leaders know the above statement is true and craftily use the women.

No scriptures at all to back this up. I know I'm naïve about this stuff right now, but WTF? It sounds as if women are responsible for the entire downfall of mankind and giving false religion it's audience, as well. Who wrote this? Is this really how women were seen? Why would a woman sit through a study of this book after reading that? If I had been there you can bet I would've used my "woman's rights". I'm just amazes to read that! Wow! Women seem to be valueless to the WT. at least in 1951 they were. Cavemen!

(My bold option was doing wierd things. Sorry.)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

why do you still read that shit?

• mind blown
    mind blown

that's about right.

You think that's crazy.....they say if a women doesn't yell out while being rapped she's consenting to the fornication/rape

Watchtower 1968 June 1 pp.345-50 The Christian's View of Self-Defense

If you are a Christian woman, what should you do if, in spite of all precautions, you are set upon by a rapist? If you cannot deter him by reasoning, or by calling upon the name of Jehovah, then what? As a Christian you are under obligation to resist. This resistance includes screaming and creating as much disturbance as possible to try to frighten off the attacker and attract help. If the attack continues and you cannot break free to flee, then you would be justified even to inflict damage on your assailant if necessary. Resistance is imperative, because the rapist is after, not just money, but your virtue. An issue of integrity to Jehovah's laws is involved here.So by no means would it be proper quietly to submit to rape, as that would be consenting to fornication. -1 Thess. 4:3.

Also:

Awake! 1984 February 22 pp.24-7 They Resisted

Treat Him Respectfully

The intended victim should remember that the rapist is a human. No doubt there are circumstances in his life that have precipitated his behavior. So although a woman should not cower in fear and permit a rapist to intimidate her, at the same time she should treat him understandingly, as a fellow human

WTF!

• Bangalore
  • zeb
    zeb

..reason with a rapist? Is this after he has punched the daylights out of you. Threatend your child with a weapon?

Yes he is human alright.

Scream your head off and kick him hard in the balls and then run like the wind..

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Once you fire up the 'wayback machine' and start looking at the old publications, the claim of being 'inspired' starts looking kinda dubious. Watchtower writer's attitudes just reflected the attitude of mainstream society in the time period it was written. Some of the things Russell & rutherford wrote seem almost lunatic to us today. No wonder all those books are never reprinted!

• poppers
    poppers

A rapist is after the victim's money and virtue?

• nugget
    nugget

pot and kettle comes to mind. It is the same in the society many men stay although they are miserable for fear of losing their spouse. We often accuse others of our sins and it seems the society is no different.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

So although a woman should not cower in fear and permit a rapist to intimidate her, at the same time she should treat him understandingly, as a fellow human

I think I remember reading that article and thinking it was stupid but then my JW brain fungus kicked in and accepted it.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Eve should have asked Adam about the fruit first while holding a fresh pastrami sandwich in one hand a pitcher of beer in the other.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit