I'm beginning to lose it!!! Update on my situation

by marriedtoajw 13 Replies latest jw friends

• marriedtoajw
    marriedtoajw

I've posted on here at times in moments of dispair and anguish over what is happening in my life being married to a JW. I've everperienced countless moments of depression, anxiety and even entertained suicidal thoughts. Suicidal thoughts at one time to me was unthinkable and a sure sign of desperation. Now being the man and the husband and father of 4, technically the spiritual authority and welfare of my children s mine... Yet because of my theological ignorance and lack of understanding of JW tactics early in my marriage, I dug a very very very deep whole for myself in not practicing my faith for fear of a serious spiritual division and upst in my home. Educating myself into all things theological, well as much as possible, nothing has done any good. Why??? Because my children are the most important people in my world and a divided spiritual family was never an option in my mind.

So when my wife began studying with the JW's off and on just two years after our marriage, I became spiritually stagnant. I've spent years hedging against the JW mindset, encourageing education, extra cirricular activities, etc. My 21 year old son was a second year college student, although at a community college, played in little league and was a high school basketball mvp. I encouraged it and didn't make him get a part time job during high school so he could have time to persue his basketball dream. Since his graduation 3 years ago he was never able to find a job, although he was very picky in that regard. Once he turned 21 all the pretences dropped and his room became filled with WT stuff and attending every meeting with his mother.

Then just 3 days ago, he got a call back for a job he applied for and then got it. The problem was that he had planned, unknown to me, to go to Arizona this weekend to visit his JW grandparents and aunt and uncle, my wifes family, to attend a comic book convention with his uncle, whom I was refered to as a childless 35 year old going on 22. He struggled with the decision of taking this job, because it interfered with his school schedule but because we have had such a hard time financially, I advised him to dump school for now until he can reschedule his classes in the spring to accomadate work. His first day of work was the next day Friday. He went to work and came home and talked about how the job was ok but he was upset that he would miss the Arizona trip because of this job.

So he decides not to take the job and instead told me that he might want to move to Arizona but he's not sure. He wanted to move out there and take it week to week while living with his grandparents. I feel like this was all a set up. How could my own family who'm I sacraficed so much for and worked so hard for decieve me in this way. I know most people might have either converted years ago or ended the marriage by now but I can't. My kids mean everything to me and I feel as if I've failed so miserabley. I can not discribe to you just how I felt but I wasn't completely shocked. I predicted this would happen a couple of years ago but had hoped and hoped I would be wrong. I was hoping he would see the light about this religion but the few times we discussed it, he listened but brushed it off. I've read some study notes in his room and Watchtower mags and publications with underlines in it. I know he's been studying for a while, even though I told my wife how I objected to it 3 years ago. I work 50 - 60 hours a week and have been for years with little to no help from my wife so it has been hard keeping up with what's going on in his head.

I literally have no money so my wifes sister paid for a train ticket and he left to go out there Friday night. MY SON IS GONE!!! I cried like a baby that night as if I don't know when I will see him again. My wife is acting hurt as if she didn't really want him to go either but with Theocratic Warfare and all, what am I to believe??? All my fears are coming true and I still don't know how to stand up to all of this without wrecking my family. I've conseded almost everything to keep peace. I know that things can still change but I just don't think so. Too much time has gone by, too much has been invested by my wife and her family, too much manipulation taken place. My marriage is over if I don't convert because I know I can't keep going on like this.

I drink too much, I got a dui last year because it got out of control. My wife was sitting in the car with me when I got pulled over and can you believe that she even clapped. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. When I asked her why she clapped, she said that she meant it as a "Wow, what else can go wrong for us". Huh??? My youngest boy, 11 years old, plays little league winter baseball and his games are always on Sunday. My wife goes to the meetings and misses his games and because baseball is all my idea, I take him. I feel like all is lost and I"ve just been out played in a mind manipulation game that I didn't even know I was playing in until the score was probably already out of reach. My wife and her family love this religion. How do I let it go on.

I think that even talking about doctrines and such is not even useful at this point. Christians, please pray for me and Athiests just wish me well but any and all advise is helpful...

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Hi, Married. I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time. What I'm having a hard time picking apart is whether the religion is the main player here. Things seem to be a bit conflated.

On the one hand, you have a son that was having trouble finding a job. That happens to us all. Perhaps he isn't working on it as urgently or responsibly as a parent would like to see. That also happens. Now he is moving to Arizona, which is also something that happens. He is 21. Maybe he thinks that is the change he needs to get things going. That's not exactly horrible, although it can make a parent sad.

And then there is the stress of being married to a JW. Always stressful if you don't share the same religion, especially with this religion. But your kids seem to be getting a lot of experiences and opportunities they wouldn't get wihout your influence. That's a very good thing. Education, extracurricular activities, very nice.

Then you mention heavy drinking. I have to tell you, I would not be in a car with you if you were drinking, and if you got pulled over for it, I would probably clap too. There is no excuse for that, and I have lost a number of friends to drunk drivers. So I don't think JW's take the hit for that one either. "What else can go wrong for us?" That's an odd statement, since that one wasn't brought on to you.

The drinking is a problem in itself, and perhaps you will look into that.

So what I'm getting is that you are having a very cruddy time, and the religion is just another thing to aggravate it. I really am sorry for that. Many of us fall apart at times, but I would suggest taking a look at yourself and improving what you can. Because it seems to me that a great deal IS in your control, and you just need to take it.

As far as the religion, you may have to deal with that issue too---but it seems there are some other very pressing issues too.

Take care. I hope you can work your way up out of this.

• talesin
    talesin

I'm sorry to hear you are so down! I've been there many times, and it's a tough place to be. It's hard to believe that your son would turn down a job in his profession, when jobs are so hard to come by these days. One thing to remember, though, is that all those years of being supportive of his dreams are not wasted. He is glamorized by the WTS at this moment, but there will come a day when he realizes it's all a big sham. That's when he'll remember how dad wanted him to have a better life!

Working 50-60 hours a week doesn't leave much spare time, but please, may I suggest you see a counsellor for your depression? You may not be able to change things as they are now, but you can get some support for yourself, and get things sorted. The drinking, I know, blots out the pain, but it also causes depression to be worse (been there, and that's a medical fact - it depresses the central nervous system). It's a momentary fix, but can lead into a downward spiral. Some people find AA helps them to stop drinking, and it can also be a useful tool, when combined with therapy/counselling. (By the way, do you have Employee Assistance Program at work? They may help you out if you tell them you are depressed. If not, you can find counselling that is offered on a sliding scale, one of my friends found a great place, and he only pays $10/visit.) Now, don't be guilting yourself out for past mistakes - every tomorrow is a new chance for change.

I don't have kids, and left the cult as a teen, but maybe some others our age could offer suggestions and encouragement about dealing with your wife and the whole situation.

xo

tal

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I agree you need a support system. Your wife isn't supportive -- she's wrapped up in JWism. A counselor or AA could be a life-saver for you. Either way you will learn a lot about manipulation and relating to other people, as well as telling yourself the truth.

I also agree you've done what you can for your kids, emphasizing education and extracurricular activities. They'll appreciate it later. Don't feel as though you've failed your kids. However, don't fail yourself! Join AA or find some way to get counseling. See if your doctor will prescribe some sort of antidepressant for you. Tell your wife to get a part-time job.

Also, you could set a rule in the household - everyone over the age of 18 has to be bringing in some income and sharing the bills, or they can move out.

• perfect1
    perfect1

I am sorry you are down.

but:

He struggled with the decision of taking this job, because it interfered with his school schedule but because we have had such a hard time financially, I advised him to dump school for now until he can reschedule his classes in the spring to accomadate work. His first day of work was the next day Friday. He went to work and came home and talked about how the job was ok but he was upset that he would miss the Arizona trip because of this job. So he decides not to take the job and instead told me that he might want to move to Arizona but he's not sure. He wanted to move out there and take it week to week while living with his grandparents.

So he leaves home. Hes an adult. 21 is high time to hit it out of your parents house. He may be going from frying pan to fire in the Grandparents- but if you have a drinking problem, and his mom is a JW, chances are home is not a great place to be, even if he is swallowing the indoctrination. Its really great you have given him other experiences- like sports, but he is an adult man, who needs to take responsibility, get a job, and understand their are consequences to his actions. Sorry to any Arizonans reading this but AZ is not a great state to try to start a life. Their is serious poverty and unemployment.

He is not leaving you forever. Every kid needs to find their way, apart from mom and dad.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I'm with talesin on this. Please seek professional help for yourself.

Positive thoughts and prayers to you.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Good advice already. Before you worry yourself to death about your childrens' welfare, you need to take care of yourself. It sounds like you've made it a bit too easy for the 21 year-old to be picky about not finding a job. That needs to change for his own sake. Just keep the communication going and help him to grow up and earn his own way.

Being around the JW religion feeds depression.

"I feel like all is lost and I"ve just been out played in a mind manipulation game that I didn't even know I was playing in until the score was probably already out of reach."

Frankly, the clock is still running and will continue running for a long, long time. "The end" isn't coming any time soon, not like WT is planning. This isn't a game where you need to feel like you need to "beat" Watchtower. You just need to get yourself out of this mess. Hopefully get your kids out. But your wife, I don't know.

"My wife and her family love this religion. How do I let it go on."

Is your wife happy with the way things are? Is she hoping you'll work and drink yourself into an early grave? I've seen "sisters" that become that way toward their "worldly" husbands. They give the lip-service that they're being "perfect JW wives" trying to win their husbands to "da troof". The kids later tell a story of a woman that made their father miserable with constant nagging and wasting his hard-earned money on things for her "ministry."

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I think that even talking about doctrines and such is not even useful at this point.

It never was, it seldom is. You need a degree in psychology, more than theology, to help a JW.

Kids grow up and move on. You can't control them forever. Mine were no different. They have great lives.

You've actually got a good kid compared to me at his age. You'd be really tearing your hair out if I was your kid.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Married:

I could be wrong but it seems that your emotional stability largely depends on how family members respond to WT religion. I suspect also that you are feeling marginalized...feeling that they (your wife and older son) have something that appears spiritually significant...and your life and influence are of little significance....and you feel you are not important/needed and have less and less to offer.

Let me ask you:

Were you baptized into the religion?

Are you currently attending some meetings?

Does your wife love/respect you and consider your feelings as important

Do your children relate well to you?

Lastly, do you have any religious convictions?

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

The only advice I have is to walk through the doors of A.A. Give it a go, buy the Big Book and see if it helps. I lost my licence for two years, and spent a night in the slammer for drink-driving; but that was many years ago, and A.A. helped me a lot.

On Children
    Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
    They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
    They come through you but not from you,
    And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
    For they have their own thoughts.
    You may house their bodies but not their souls,
    For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
    which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
    You may strive to be like them,
    but seek not to make them like you.
    For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
    as living arrows are sent forth.
    The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
    and He bends you with His might
    that His arrows may go swift and far.
    Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
    For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
    so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit